Mt. Cabot Trail open?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardsgirl

Reaction score
I've seen a couple posts this week about hikers using the Mt. Cabot Trail. The last I heard, it was closed to the public, but that was a few years ago, when Ethan needed it for his 48. Then, we went via the fish hatchery, which was a much longer drive for us. Has something recently changed with the trail access for Mt. Cabot?

I hiked it a few weeks ago...I parked down the road from the gate. The bottom appears to get plenty of use from hikers and skiers. I think if you are careful not to block any driveways/gates/etc., it's not an issue.

I lead a group up there that way last winter. We noticed that the trailer that belonged to the landowner who had the issue with hikers was gone. This means that he is not living there anymore and probably won't great you with a rifle.

He may very well still own the land, but the Forest Service has had a right-of-way on it for ages. They just don't want to push the issue.

The biggest issue is with parking there. The parking area is not likely to be plowed. We had to push several cars.

Thanks for posting this, I had been wondering the same thing.

I'd love to do the Mt. Cabot trail, but the thought of Alex and I being greeted with rifle fire doesn't sound too appealing....sucks that this issue can't be worked out.

I'd love to do the Mt. Cabot trail,

Trust me, it ain't that great. Short? Yes. Easy? Well, maybe when broken out by someone familiar with the route, but in summer it is heavily overgrown and can be tough to follow due to the fact it got so little usage due to the closure. But one thing is for sure....I found it boring as sin. It was probably the most boring trail I have yet to be on, and I have been on a fair number of them......

Bottom line is the other approaches are quite more appealing. Heading up to Unknown Pond and then the Horn is about as scenic as scenic gets, and if your into the list thing you get a couple NHHH along the way, one of which I believe is a NEHH also (Horn) plus the 4K that is Cabot.

Brian

Agreed with Brian

Loop to Unknown Pond offers a lot of diversity with the Pond and some open woods..a great peak...the Horn...another peak that counts for something..the Bulge.. and a 4k Cabot which offers a couple of decent views from the cabin and along the summit ridge..Bunnell Notch trail back to Fish Hatchery offers some local views of the Notch and a fairly monotonous trek for the last mile and a half or so on logging road..

I have not done the loop in winter, just the Bunnell Notch trail..we were up there last March and trail was not broken out past the Cabot summit..have done the Mt Cabot trail a couple of times back in the old days...

To me the big advantage of Mt Cabot trail is the substantially shorter drive..it seems to take forever to get into the Fish hatchery

As far a s views and diversity of trail though I'll take the long way...

Thanks, Brian et al. Now I feel better about having to take the longer options. Sounds like the path ain't worth the shotgun risk.

I don't think the trail is *that* bad...while the first part isn't exactly a wilderness experience, it is still beautiful with snow on the ground:

mtcabottrail-2009-0125a.jpg

Rather nice views for the first 10-15 minutes.

Also, when at the summit of Cabot, go a bit southwest - there is a viewpoint looking toward Franconia, courtesy a recent blowdown.

Sounds like the path ain't worth the shotgun risk.

I don't think that's an issue anymore. There were fresh tracks galore all over the lower part of the area that appeared during my hike...it looks like the flats are a popular place. I parked along the road, slightly in a snowbank, about 100 yards below the gate. Property owners adjacent to the gate drove by as I was getting ready and didn't stop, say a peep, or leave any sort of note. When I returned, another car had joined me and it looked like a few others had parked nearby during the course of the day.

Based upon the footbed I saw, it appears that the Mt. Cabot Trail is getting a lot more use this winter than the other options.

The Horn is the best reason to do the full loop. The views from the top of The Horn are the best on the loop. The views of The Horn over Unknown Pond are very nice!

On the way down from Unknown Pond, your odds of a encountering Bullwinkle are reasonably good. If not him, then at least his prints and droppings.

Tim

Also, when at the summit of Cabot, go a bit southwest - there is a viewpoint looking toward Franconia, courtesy a recent blowdown.
There is also a viewpoint N of the sign which may be the true summit, someday somebody will GPS it.

I think the mud on the fish hatchery approach is the pits in the summer, and driving in there is the pits in the winter. I recommend coming in from Stark in the summer if you want to avoid potential landowner issues. Note also that there is now a fire hydrant at the upper end of the former parking space on the Lancaster side, parking next to that is a real no-no!

I agree totally with Roy about the driving options.

IMO, the best way to visit Cabot is with a long carspot and the Kilkenny Ridge Trail/Starr King Trail traverse. My BF and I did it that way over 4th of July weekend many years ago. So many years ago, in fact, that we had the cozy cabin to ourselves!

Not sure if the Mill Brook Road option will be availlable if the planned timber sale in that area goes through. Then again its probably going to a be along time before it gets approved as it has become a test case for the "roadless rule"

IMO, Mill Brook is the most scenic option outside of winter, it's not bad in late fall with snow on the trail either providing the road is open.

While the rifle reception may not occur, the issue of crossing the landowners property against his wishes sound like it still is in place. (Not thinking I want to live in a trailer in that area in winter if I have a choice:rolleyes:)

X-C skiers in that area are a small percentage of the population, the trail access impacts many more people in summer.

Interesting that it's boring as sin & overgrown. When I did it back in 1998 (legal then) it was as boring as sin because it went straight up the fall line in several places & was an eroded over traveled wide dirt track. (the lower part of Tucks without the rocks - it made the semi-tedious parts of Liberty Spring exciting) Overgrown sounds almost pleasant in contrast to how I remembered it.

I almost always use the Heath Gate (Lancaster) route, which is much more pleasant in winter with snow covering the eroded and wet jeep road. Much of the forest along the lower part of the jeep road now has been cleared, providing fine views, apparently for a housing development. The 'no trespassing' signs are gone, although the main gate was set up again since last fall. But, the parking areas near the gate have not been cleared this winter, so I park parallela to the snowbank, and away from the corner with gate, and of course away from the fire hydrant. For me, this route saves about two hours of driving to/from the Berlin fish hatchery. Although wet, I like the Unknown Pond Trail from Mill Brook Road in the fall season (not plowed in winter).