East Kennebago 2/1/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael

Reaction score
Thanks to all the recent activity on East Kennebago, we had a pretty easy day navigation-wise.
The new and drifted snow made us work for this but without the hassle of plotting a route, we were able to enjoy a fairly vigorous (but relaxing!) day in the wilds of Lang TWP.

I deposited the team at the Bridge St entrance and then planted my Honda into the snowbank at the side of Rt 16.
We were geared up and on our way by 9:03AM.

Snow fell lightly but constantly and provided a nice coating on which to ski.
Brother Pete and AWYATT and I skied the IT route to the base of the Peak.
We stuck with this path as we knew that someplace along this route we would catch either Onesteps', Carl's or Oncoman's tracks and we were not disappointed.
The line from the IT trail to the upper road network was clearly discernable though a moose or two also found it inviting and so we had to negotiate those craters and the erractic line that they chose superimposed on the fine lines of the previous three.
Up on the upper road we avoided the boundry marker path Kurt used and proceeded over to the stream that empties from the small saddle on the northern slope of East K proper and followed another line (carl or oncoman?) established there.
The route was steep and deep. Lots of snow loading on the spruce and fir.
Big piles on our heads as we plowed uphill.
Topping out, we wandered over to the Cannister and had a quick break. Temps 15F with light snow. Little wind.
We could see Kurt's path heading southerly towards the Boundry line he followed and though tempted we decided to retrace our route back and really groom the path.
I had my 30" shoes and they got in the way now and then due to width of the path - it being previoulsy established by obviously smaller shoes.

Back out of the thick stuff we cruised down to the IT trail and skied out.
Enjoyed a good half-mile or more downhill run at one point - sweeeeeeet!

We were back at the car by 5pm after an hour of skiing.

There is now a very well groomed path to the summit of East K!

Cheers!

photos here: http://community.webshots.com/album/569910934RAaHnC

Last edited:
Hi Michael and Pete.

I think I posted once about this quite some time ago but I found pretty easy going on one trip when I kept skiing past the usual spots and kept on the sled trail almost until it hits the height of land and then headed back down the ridge. I was able to ski way further than I had gone on a previous trip.

Hi Michael and Pete.

I think I posted once about this quite some time ago but I found pretty easy going on one trip when I kept skiing past the usual spots and kept on the sled trail almost until it hits the height of land and then headed back down the ridge. I was able to ski way further than I had gone on a previous trip.

I was actually thinking about you and your preference to skiing. The first time Pete and I hiked EK back in May '03, we did go past the stream we took the other day and we were recalling that very easy grade and open woods as we were negotiating the steep and deep route we were on.
If and when I go back there again I am going to wait just another 10 minutes before heading in.