National Geographic Mount Washington Article

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spongebob

Reaction score
There is an article in the February 2009 National Geographic magazine about Mount Washington.

The online link to the article is here.

There are some pictures in the photo gallery to the upper left of the article too.

I know boring post.....Reminds me what it must feel like to be JayH.

Thanks for the alert. I must pick up that issue. Nice to see a quote from Mohamed Ellozy under one of the photos!

There is an article in the February 2009 National Geographic magazine about Mount Washington.

There are some pictures in the photo gallery to the upper left of the article too.

Speaking of boring, already posted about 3 weeks ago!

Come on Sponge, read the board more than once a year! :eek:

(We're friends! :D )

Hey, quit picking on SpongeBob! :p

I finally got around to reading this article and am wondering if anyone else was bothered by what I assume meant they did not bring snowshoes on a Presi (or partial) Traverse.

From the article:

He takes a few steps and then sinks to his hips in deep snow. He wrestles with his trekking poles and tries to push himself out of the hole, the heavy backpack fighting him. He takes another step, sinks again. Soon I'm postholing too, fir branches below the snow clawing at my legs. The process—step, sink, repeat—is exhausting, the price of an audience with Washington... We try three different paths, postholing for an hour, losing time and heat before we finally reach a nose of rock where the snow thins but the wind returns with violence. Jon is a dozen yards ahead when he suddenly falls hard, taken out by ice and wind. He stays down, a broken line of color in the whiteness. An injury would be very bad here, miles from help...

:confused:

I'm so bored, I just read the print article now... Nice pictures, can't wait for winter... :)

Did anybody check out the article before the Mt Washington article, the one on mummified corpses in Sicily, Italy. :eek:

Jay