Winter Backpacking - Mt Washington, NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deltabrian

Reaction score
I'm planning a trip up to Mt Washington, NH this March with 2 friends. I've already climbed this in the winter once before (solo no less). We're looking to tent out over night near 'Lake of the Clouds' hut. I am aware that there is no camping in the alpine garden and will steer clear of that.

Does anyone have any recommendations on possible locations on that ridge (closer to Mt Monroe) or any useful beta for this attempt?

Thanks much.

Brian

230 views and no one's tried this or has any beta?

My wife must be right, I'm in the "you're crazy to do that" category.

head past the hut and get in the dry river trail area.there are some areas over there to hunker down in. The elevation gain or loss, (before you find a spot isn't bad depending on how far you go) , keep in mind though that there can be some pretty stiff wind on your return. I've had to stay there a few times in the past. You will probably have to shovel out a flat area for your tent because there is a little bit of snow accumulation over there !
CHECK IT OUT. Good luck

head past the hut and get in the dry river trail area.there are some areas over there to hunker down in. The elevation gain or loss, (before you find a spot isn't bad depending on how far you go) , keep in mind though that there can be some pretty stiff wind on your return. I've had to stay there a few times in the past. You will probably have to shovel out a flat area for your tent because there is a little bit of snow accumulation over there
There is some avy terrain (including some steep skiing gullies) over there, so be careful if you go over that way. I think there also may be some technical terrain.

Doug

230 views and no one's tried this or has any beta?

FWIW - There's an element of truth in your wife's statement. Since most summits in the Presi's (and the Whites, for that matter) are about 5 miles from the road, avid winter hikers rarely intentionally plan on overnights, especially in the Presi's. Two major storm tracks, along with a rare dip in the jet stream, coalesce over the Presi's, so it requires careful planning to do an overnight there minimizing the risks.

Welcome to VFtT. If you do this backpack, please share your experiences with us.

(Edit - since I first posted this I had second thoughts, and considered deleting the above lest it sound "too preachy". Whenever a new member, especially from "away", posts a question like yours my reaction is "Oh-my-gawd, we're going to read about this guy in the funny papers". But, that's judgmental, and it's my belief that all of us engage in some activity which others would consider 'risky behavior', and acceptable risk levels change based upon our age, experience, and ever-changing levels of responsibility to our family and friends. So, while I personally would not choose to spend a winter night at/above treeline in the Presi's as it exceeds my comfort level, I know full well that other people's brained are wired differently, and they might see little, if any, risk.

Last edited:
People camp in the lee of the hut and on the lakes all the time, but as noted this is illegal and you could get an expensive ticket.

I met a guy who had winter camped in a sheltered spot on the Camel Trail that somebody at Pinkham told him about, but I don't know any more.

What trail are you coming up? People commonly spend the first night near treeline on their up trail.

Really depends on your skill level and, above all, the weather.

A three day winter Presidential traverse is the classic mountaineering feat in the Northeast. See Chauvin Guides' excellent planning document: Presidential Traverse. For a description of one, see the article by Matt Heid in the AMC Outdoors: A Hard Freeze. For an account of my two day half traverse (up Washington by Lions Head, then Crawford path to Crawford Notch) see Mount Washington Winter Backpack -- A Southern Presidential Traverse .

If you try it remember: Nobody ever died of shame because they turned around. Many, however, died of hypothermia because they did not turn around.

Camel Trail

I know of the spot on the Camel Trail that Roy speaks of, though I have never camped there. It's about 1/2 mile southeast from the hut. The trail drops into a low spot sheltered from the north and west by rocks. There are actually stunted trees taller than the krumholz here. It would offer some protection from west and northwest winds, and would meet most of the criteria for being a legal camp spot.

KDT

The weather can get real bad by Lakes in winter. I've camped beyond the hut near where the Edmunds Path meets the Crawford Path. If you've been there before in summer, as you are walking towards the Edmunds Path, there is a small rock ledge on the left off trail...about 150 yards. Right next to that is a great sheltered area surrounded by boulders to pitch a tent.

Thank you to everyone for the heads up on some better spots. While I am new to this board, I'm not new to the northeast, winter backpacking, or climbing Mt Washington in the winter. So you shouldn't be seeing me in those funny papers ;)

We'll be tackling (always dependent on weather and avy conditions) one of the gullies in Huntington to gain the summit of Mt W. From there it's up in the air going either north or south along the ridge. We'll be making that call when we arrive.

I will post pics and full TR when I complete this. Thanks again for all the info.

Hey DB,

If you go north from Washimgton, when you get between Clay & Jefferson (The Sphinx Col), I recommend descending East for a few hundred yards on the Sphinx Trail. I spent a night out there last weekend, and once last winter. This year I didn't have much wind, but last year there was a lot of wind on the ridge, and it was fairly sheltered.
I've never camped South of Washington, so I don't have anything to say there.

I'm gonna ask you something obvious, to me anyway.

Do you have a mountaineering tent and something on the order of -20 bags.

have fun & be safe out there.

Joe.

Hey DB,

If you go north from Washimgton, when you get between Clay & Jefferson (The Sphinx Col), I recommend descending East for a few hundred yards on the Sphinx Trail. I spent a night out there last weekend, and once last winter. This year I didn't have much wind, but last year there was a lot of wind on the ridge, and it was fairly sheltered.
I've never camped South of Washington, so I don't have anything to say there.

I'm gonna ask you something obvious, to me anyway.

Do you have a mountaineering tent and something on the order of -20 bags.

have fun & be safe out there.

Joe.

Yes we'll be using a mountaineering tent and cold weather bags. After our prep meeting today, our group decided on heading north and staying on the Sphinx Col. Thanks for the heads up. We'll look to tackle Jefferson and Adams now instead of only Monroe.