Pulk/Sled Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm... I never thought of that. It probably depends on what your pulk is made of. I never thought of greasing mine because the plastic seems to glide smoothly on its own. My guess is that if you are using a plastic sled, it is unnecessary.

I would certainly give it a try: it will likely decrease the friction.

Some of the paste XC glide waxes (eg Swix F4 or Maxiglide) should be particularly easy to apply.

Doug

Real men don't glide wax their pulks. (They're too busy tinkering with the harness system to have time. ;) )

Seriously, I've never heard of it being done. On wooden toboggans, it's a necessity. But it seems unlikely to be sufficiently rewarding for the time expended in the case of a plastic or fiberglass pulk.

Real men don't glide wax their pulks. (They're too busy tinkering with the harness system to have time. ;) )

Seriously, I've never heard of it being done. On wooden toboggans, it's a necessity. But it seems unlikely to be sufficiently rewarding for the time expended in the case of a plastic or fiberglass pulk.
Its been done...
http://www.bwca.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=forum.thread&threadId=57921&forumID=116&confID=1

The plastic pulks are made of polyethylene and ski bases are high density polyethylene, so it seems plausible.

And yes, I glide wax my waxless skis.

From my white water days, I know that plastic slides over rocks more easily than fiberglass. (Wax might not make much difference here...)

Doug

Waxing pulks

Hi Oldmanwinter- IMO waxing a new high density polyethylene sled (while possible) doesn't make a lot of sense for the average user. It may help in a race. I also expect it would help a heavily scraped older poly sled.

With wooden toboggans waxing is essential. Waxing is highly recommended for fiberglass sleds. The biggest issue with fiberglass is the situation where wet snow or lake top slush freezes on the sled creating an icing effect.

With the poly sleds icing can be removed simply by hitting the sled a couple times with a ski pole. With a fiberglass sled that is not waxed- You have to scrape off the ice. Enjoy what is left of winter... ED

I couldn't imagine that it would hurt anything; go ahaed and try it. If it stinks your out what , about a buck's worth of wax? Maybe more if you use wax remover. Experimentation is fun.
Bob