Mt. Tremper

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asthmatic

Reaction score
Mt. Tremper was a big let down. I thought the views would be great because of the fire tower. I was very wrong. The trees growing right next to the firetower are as high as the firetower so the only views you get are what you can glean from squatting on the highest platform and peering out above the treetops. And of course trying to get an un-obstructed view or picture is hard here because of the aluminum structure.

If they cut down the trees it would probably be a very cool summit.

What kind of trees, evergreens? You could always try it in winter. A lot of the overlooks in the catskills can be overgrown in the summer. haven't been up there but it's on my list of places to hike...

Jay

I last climbed the Tremper fire tower on July 21, 2001, about a month after the tower officially reopened. Fortunately the cab at the top was open and there was a view, although right at the tree tops. The cabs of the Catskill towers are often open on summer weekends, but maybe limited by the number of volunteers. As I recall the view was fairly obstructed by trees below the cab level. The current Catskill towers are either 47' or 60' tall. Tremper is the shorter 47' model. The Tremper summit is only 2740' and the forest is mostly tall hardwood trees.

Red Hill has a similar summit forest but has a 60' tower so has a good view. Balsam Lake's tower is only 47', but the forest is stunted conifers so has a clear view. Overlook and Hunter have 60' towers and good views. Of the five towers the Tremper view is at a disadvantage. The DEC does have the power to authorize cutting of trees in the forest preserve for the purposes of building trails and for opening and maintaining views on trails. I don't know if maintaining the view from the tower is included in that authority, but it may be worth making such a request to the DEC.

Thanks for the info, Mark. I think tree tops have been pruned around the summit rock of Slide, as the view from there has improved since I first climbed it a while ago.

Mark Schaefer said:
I don't know if maintaining the view from the tower is included in that authority, but it may be worth making such a request to the DEC.

The new management plan includes provisions to maintain the Catskillls vistas. Don't know if this applies to the fire towers nor when the plan goes "live".