Aborted Washington attempt via Lion Head winter route, 2/7

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaze

Reaction score
Date of Hike: Saturday 2/7

Trail Conditions: mashed potato snow on Tuckermans and the wide lower section of Lion Head (to the first aid cache). Above treeline, snow was more packed down or more scoured away by wind.

The steep section of Lion Head is in good shape, packed down snow, easy to dig and kick into, with fairly well-defined steps, some ice. Only one blowdown that I can recall on the entire route.

Special Equipment Required: ice axe, trekking poles, crampons. We used snowshoes on the approach up Tuckerman Ravine Trail and on the descent. Worth the extra weight in my opinion. I recommend carrying your (collapsed and lashed on) trekking poles to use once you're above the steeps, vs. ditching them at the first aid cache.

Comments: we turned back due to high winds just past the Lion Head. Strong enough to knock you over. A few groups pressed on beyond this point but most turned back. The few successful summiters with whom I spoke got an earlier start than we did. We hit the trail at 7:30 AM.

I have to keep reminding myself that this was an "unsuccessful" trip, in that we did not summit. May all your "unsuccessful" hikes be this spectacular! Thanks to Vaportrails, Kathy B, Daymond N, and Kevin P for a very rewarding day.

Photos www.pbase.com/jonathantr

blaze

jtrundell ~ AT ~ yahoo ~ DOT ~ com

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." - Edward Abbey