Grivel Crampon questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't buy those, they're older than your grandfather. Leather straps aren't used much anymore and may be rotten. Look for something a little newer. Wait to hear what others have to say.

I agree - they're pretty old. Here's a much better selection on eBay, for Grivel G10's. The person's in Glen, NH, so maybe they even belong to VFtT ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Grivel-G-10-Cra...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

This crampon, in this particular configuration, is about the best around crampon for hiking in the Whites. Unfortunately, Grivel announced it's pulling out of the US market, so they're be harder to find in the future.

Wayyyy Tooooo OOOOLLLLDDD

for the 42.00 including shipping you can get new ones for about 25 bucks more

if you like grivel, i just got some old/new ones that where not hurt for $50.00. PM me if you are interested as the couple had two sets and I got one. those are older than than dirt...

If you want new ones, The Mountaineer in Keene Valley still sells Grivel crampons, which they import directly from Europe (the U.S. distributor closed).

The G10 model is the most commonly used crampon for trails and non-technical climbing.

Thank you for the replies. Ha, yes they are quite old (I wear 80 yr old snowshoes so it might not be out of place!). I had only done a cursory search and these were the cheapest I could find. I'd grab any brand, just looking for the best function/low price.

I was wondering how much sliding and movement the boot does in adjustable crampons. Should I spring for rigid boots/in step crampons and be done with it, or are these (newer) ones you folks have listed fairly comfortable?

Also, does the aluminum bend/wear out significantly faster than steel?

Never worn crampons before so just figured I'd go cheap till I got an idea of what they were like and then moved on from there. It sounds like I should spend a little more and get a new, maybe warrantied pair. I'd need to accomodate a size 13 if thats of any relevance.

I was wondering how much sliding and movement the boot does in adjustable crampons. Should I spring for rigid boots/in step crampons and be done with it, or are these (newer) ones you folks have listed fairly comfortable?

Also, does the aluminum bend/wear out significantly faster than steel?
QUOTE]

My wife and I both use the strap-on crampons, made by 2 different companies. I'm sure it's probable but we have never had a problem or had a crampon fall off and we both use flexible winter hiking boots. She uses the Columbia pack boot type which some say don't work well with crampons but again, never had a problem.

We prefer steel, we feel much more secure on steep ice and I don't worry about walking on rocks. We like to keep them well sharpened though.

These are also popular http://www.backcountry.com/store/BLD1048/Black-Diamond-Contact-Strap-Crampon.html
Aluminum will be ok, but if you anticipate alot of above tree line walking w/ rock exposure steel will last alot longer and won't bend.

EMS just had those on sale for $95.99... I think the set of grivels I got for $50 work well. Strapped them in my boots and they fit well. as with any strap binding they may loosen, just like my tubbs snowshoes but that doesnt bother me. its just a quick pull and they are retightened..grivel even says to retighten after so long.Good luck. I went with cheaper till/if I ever need to get that deep into winter hiking.

I agree - they're pretty old. Here's a much better selection on eBay, for Grivel G10's. The person's in Glen, NH, so maybe they even belong to VFtT ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Grivel-G-10-Cra...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

This crampon, in this particular configuration, is about the best around crampon for hiking in the Whites. Unfortunately, Grivel announced it's pulling out of the US market, so they're be harder to find in the future.

If you're serious about buying crampons, you should bid on these, they are worth three times the current bid and they are as good as any strap-ons you can buy. There are places that still carry Grivel products in New England.