Guadalupe National Park - Feb. 10-12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan

Reaction score
Pine Spring Campground ... look for Mass. plates.

Hiking McKittrick Canyon and Guadalupe Peak.

Expect to see y'all there, y'heah.

Stan,

You've probably already considered this, but take a tour of Carlsbad Caverns if you've got the time. It's probably not too crowded this time of year. Also, the UFO museum in Roswell is kind of entertaining (and free!).

Make sure you stake down your tent! Mine almost blew away. It gets really, really windy there!

Guadalupe is a cool peak (esp. considering it's in Texas). :D Have fun.

Stan,

You've probably already considered this, but take a tour of Carlsbad Caverns if you've got the time. It's probably not too crowded this time of year. Also, the UFO museum in Roswell is kind of entertaining (and free!).

We deleted Carlsbad caverns from our itinerary the last minute to allow for more time in a couple other places. Try as hard as one may, ya' can't kiss all the pretty girls. We did, however, visit Mammoth Caves in Kentucky enroute and toured the "Niagra" area, perhaps the most significant stalactites and stalagmites of those caves.

Make sure you stake down your tent! Mine almost blew away. It gets really, really windy there!

Guadalupe is a cool peak (esp. considering it's in Texas). :D Have fun.

"The westward wind is a restless wind" indeed.

Don't bad mouth Texas ... Big Bend is worth a visit, too.

Wasn't badmouthing it but rather alluding to the fact that Texas is mostly flat and rather lacking in the trail department. :(

And FWIW, I spent last week in Austin which is a pretty rockin' cool place. Alas, no Matthew McConaughy or Lance sightings (who's currently here on the West Coast riding in the Tour of California... in the rain!!) :D

Lets not diss on Texas!:) I actually had an amazing trip there. Had set out for Utah one winter, and ended up in Texas for 2 weeks. Palo Duro Canyon, the Guads, Big Bend, hot springs, the hill country... it just sucked me in, much to my surprise. No "long distance" trails, but plenty of outstanding hiking/backpacking opportunity.