Yellow Snow

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Rickie

Reaction score
I was hiking up Street from the Loj this last Saturday and I saw a lot of yellow snow along edge of the trail. :(

A lot of folks must have been hiking with their dogs that day.

Most hikers I know would stomp down their yellow snow & kick snow over it or politely step off trail to do their watering.

Dogs don't know any better so I can't hold their habits against them.

Funny thing though, I never saw any dogs ... or did I. :rolleyes:

Maybe it's got to do with marking territory? Making claim to a particular trail and such...;)

Courtesy has been sadly lacking this winter in NYS, yellow snow and postholing being the 2 worst offenders.

If you or your dog has to go, at least cover it over!

I have found this to be a very frequent occurrence, and most times I will see snowshoe tracks right in the front of the yellow snow. Since I highly doubt that most dogs are wearing MSR Denali Evos, I chalk it up to inconsiderate hikers. I have even in one case seen human feces right off the trail! It would be much more considerate if they would cover their excretion for the courtesy of us all.

Winter Leave No Trace Principles: "If you can dig a cathole in the ground, dispose of human waste that way. Catholes in snow only hide your waste until the snow melts - then it lays on the snow and ground. Instead, let your waste freeze and then pack it and your toilet paper out."

I would say that at least gentlemen can use a cathole for urine and then stamp it down. It's the nice thing to do for everyone!

It's not the four legged dogs I complaining about. but yes, if your dog goes cover it up.

I know it's nature and all that but I don't need to see pee.

I drink massive amounts of water so that when I see the other yellow spots I pee on them and it acts like an eraser.

It really irks me to see so much yellow snow. It is not hard to cover it up with lots of nice clean white snow, and be off to the side of the trail while you are at it. The worst instance I have seen so far this winter is a pee hole augering down into the snow pack in the middle of the trail, between a pair of ski tracks. You have skis on - you can go ANYWHERE off trail to do your business and not have to worry about sinking in snow.

How am I suppose to find my way back?

The best choice is to drop little pieces of spray-painted foam. You will be sure to see them, and they won't bio-degrade anytime soon; thus leaving you with a long-lasting and obvious trail back to your starting destination. :p

Hey there Little Rickie. Just wait until spring and then you can start a thread complaining about all the brown snow. :eek:

In the cities people carry plastic bags around trailing after their canine friends. So.......

I usually carry two or three when I hike with Rik.

Cover it up

It's not the four legged dogs I complaining about. but yes, if your dog goes cover it up.

I know it's nature and all that but I don't need to see pee.

If I find bear scat, should I cover it up? I see coyote scat in the middle of the trail on top of rocks all the time, should I cover it up? How about yellow snow and scat from moose and deer, should I cover it up?

I agree that we should be considerate but we are in the woods where bear and other animals go, c'mon

we are in the woods where bear and other animals go, c'mon
I think there has been studies done where, because of diets, animal feces have been shown to be healthier than humans. Garbage in, garbage out and we humans eat a lot of, well, crap. :rolleyes:

I try and get off trail as much as possible and when I can't, or if I can't get far enough away from the trail it will still be visible I do the olle "cover it with snow". But heading up the Osceola's this past weekend I was amazed at all the yellow snow left for all to see right off the trail......:(

Brian

Neil;I usually carry two or three when I hike with Rik.[/QUOTE said:
What garbage bags?! :D

When your full of it, you're full of it. :p:D

Did you ever hear the story of the martinis I made with hot peppers? PM me. :eek:

If I find bear scat, should I cover it up? I see coyote scat in the middle of the trail on top of rocks all the time, should I cover it up? How about yellow snow and scat from moose and deer, should I cover it up?

I agree that we should be considerate but we are in the woods where bear and other animals go, c'mon

Yes, we are just another animal in the woods but I'd like believe we have a consciousness that is a little higher than the beasts that live on instinct only.

When the bear, coyote, moose, and deer come in and use my bathroom, they flush so I don't ever see it! The least I can do is hide mine when I'm in their space.

(P.S. I don't think I'll follow Rik anymore...)

Last edited:
When the bear, coyote, moose, and deer come in and use my bathroom, they flush so I don't ever see it! The least I can do is hide mine when I'm in their space.

(P.S. I don't think I'll follow Rik anymore...)

When the bear, coyote, moose, and deer come in and use my bathroom, that'll be the day when social services remove the children from my custody.

You can follow Rik as long as I'm ahead of you.