Yellow Snow

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, we are just another animal in the woods but I'd like believe we have a consciousness that is a little higher than the beasts that live on instinct only.

Absolutely, No one sees where I go, I am very careful to remove (coverup) the evidence, big yellow areas are not a pleasant sight. I was referring to my dog, I remove any of her scat but I have to admit that I don't worry too much about the little yellow holes she leaves in dozens of places.

One day on my way up Galehead, I met "Jeff" at the hut.

How did I know his name was "Jeff"?

He wrote his name in pee at the outlook on Frost Trail! :D

Anyone ever FALL FACE FIRST into some yellow show? :eek:

I've seen it happen a few years back! I didn't know the fellow but I felt very bad for him... He slipped while passing a group of us and down he went. Gave him some handy-wipes to clean up with... Poor guy :(

Good thing his name wasn't Throckmorton Antonio Wilberforce the Seventh

Reminds me of a hike up mount mansfield a few months ago.
i could have sworn there was a name written in pee, almost looked like it said gooly!:confused:

It wasn't yellow, and it wasn't on snow, but last September on a trail in Yosemite, just above a section where trail crews were working, we saw a plop of obvious stomach distress right in the middle :mad: of the trail and partially covered by a paper napkin. I mean, really, it was gross. I couldn't help but wondering "who" of the friendly hikers we had seen coming our way had left THAT. :eek:

Jeez, you see piss on the ground, step over it and keep moving. I don't think I've ever thought about it longer than the time it takes to step over it. Piss in my car is one thing that might annoy me. Piss in the face is another. However, piss on a trail that is like miles long and who-knows-how-many acres of forest is kinda ridiculous to fuss over.

-Dr. Wu

It wasn't yellow, and it wasn't on snow, but last September on a trail in Yosemite, just above a section where trail crews were working, we saw a plop of obvious stomach distress right in the middle :mad: of the trail and partially covered by a paper napkin. I mean, really, it was gross. I couldn't help but wondering "who" of the friendly hikers we had seen coming our way had left THAT. :eek:
To each their own, I guess. When MEB and I were going across the Knife Edge on Katahdin a few months ago we found a bunch of terds, right on the trail... seriously, like someone just pulled down their pants a few inches and popped a few out. There was a momentary "What the F?" factor but after a few seconds (and thankfully not stepping in it) it was more amusing than anything. Certainly didn't wig me out or anything. Not that I advocate crapping on the trail -- c'mon, step off trail -- but otherwise, a terds a terd and soon enough it's gonna be dirt. It's not like I thought it was a piece of chocolate on the ground and bit into it...

-Dr. Wu

I do have to admit that one time i was a bit grossed out on the trail.
it was last summer and i was hiking the LT to Mt. Mansfield. There was a male and female couple ahead of me stopped in the middle of the trail. As i approached i realized that she was squatting right in the middle of the trail :eek:
I kind of said something like "you should step off the trail to take care of your business". Then i realized there was a language barrier as they replied to me in french. i just kept walking but thought it was a pretty bold act.

i think seeing it happening right in front of you is much worse than seeing some yellow snow.

Last edited:
I agree that bodily waste is a natural function and is biodegradeable, but at the same time, what effort does it take to be slightly discreet?

Agreed, Mookie. I am not at all offended when my friends pee nearby me when we're out hiking. I'd be embarrassed if they dropped drawers in a public area and would have to wonder a bit about their manners.

As for the "plop" I saw on the trail out west, it wouldn't have taken much effort to move the evacuation off the trail. Aside from that and the many cigarette butts we saw on the trail, the pathway was an immaculate and almost too nicely groomed wide, gravel footbed. Did they think a janitor was going to come along and clean it up for them?

When I come across human solids off trail, say, behind a big boulder, I think to myself, "Ha! I'm not the only one who thought this would be a good spot." ;)

I agree that bodily waste is a natural function and is biodegradeable, but at the same time, what effort does it take to be slightly discreet?
Not much effort. But some people are just messed up in the head a little... not going to change them or help them either because they're probably too stupid and far gone. Not worth worrying about. If they were firing guns on the trail that I was hiking I might get pissed. But firing a few bad chocolate bars on the trail is kinda nasty but not gonna get me too pissed off.

-Dr. Wu

...But firing a few bad chocolate bars on the trail is kinda nasty but not gonna get me too pissed off.
-Dr. Wu

How bout on a sunny, hot summers day on the Gulfside Tr below Clay.
The fly were a buzz’n and I could smell it 20 yds away.

The mule that left that should’ve been gutted and left right next to it.

My favorite part about this is the napkin.

Saw a similar splat on the Gulfside trail approaching Jefferson - G.I. distress surrounded by Charmin (how do I know it was Charmin? They left the package, too :rolleyes: ). Seriously, how hard would it have been to move off the trail? It certainly would have been less precarious than where they did squat...

Luke

I was on Crasford Path 2 weeks ago and some guy named Luke had some nice peamanship. His name was written all over the place. I could not help but wonder where "leave no trace" stands when it comes to yellow snow. I always try to kick snow over my waste, i think i got it from my dog. You know scratching something over it to cover the scent.