Osceola's via Dog Leg Slide 2/7/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darl58

Reaction score
As a training hike a few of us decided to hike Osceola's and bushwack over to The Dog Leg Slide and climb up it.

The group: Frodo, Arm, Hamtero, SueBiscuit, Leaf, Darl58, & NH_Mtn_Hiker. A few of them had done this hike before so the bushwack over to the slide went fairly easy. We did switch off on breaking trail through the deep snow and a there were a few places where it was pretty deep.

Sue fell in and pulled Frodo in with her at one point..I was busy taking pics and then i did help her up!:eek: Courtney got her snowshoe stuck on a branch while climbing down into the brook and hung me up in the tree with her...the guys took over the trail breaking after watching our antics trying to get un -stuck.:eek:

As soon as we were able to see the slide up closer, the blue ice was there!! I was glad I hadn't carried those axes for nothing...

We spread out on the ice climbs and everyone did the climb that they were comfortible with. There were some pretty nice ice bulges and then nice breaks in between of deep snow to wade through.

The wind came up and blew pretty hard as we got up higher on the climb and we took shelter for a few minutes and waited for everyone to re-group. At the top of the slide it was pretty windblown and some of the rocks were loose, so we carefully made it to the top of the slide.

As we topped out into the trees, yup there was neck high spruce traps waiting for us to sink into. This was when I was really glad that I had stopped for some pics and was near the back of the line.....;)

The going was slow as we broke through the trees and plowed our way through the snow drifts. Finally we broke out and was at the summit. Pictures were taken by a hiker that summited right after we arrived.

Now for the hike out.......butt sliding with a few spills and missed corners.. Thanks Bob for blocking that tree on the icy corner! Frodo sorry we scattered and didn't catch you, but you had some pretty good speed going!
Courtney, it's amazing the aim you have while slamming into me to stop...hmmm :eek:

Lots of fun and laughter and a great group to enjoy a sweet climb up the slide. I've been wanting to do that slide, now to do it in summer....:rolleyes:

pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdd13/OsceolaSSlide2709?feat=directlink

i think we had it all.. on trail, off trail, steep snow climb, ice climbing, some headwinds, more bushwhacking, two peaks, and of course sliding down the east peak. it was full day, to say the least.

not sure it would be as fun in the summertime. :D

my pics

Looks like you guys had a fun time!!
Blue ice scares me! :eek:
We made it to the summit of Osceola around 11am and were thinking of you guys!!

This trip sounds pretty intense. Very hardcore! But for the first time I'm thinking, hmmm, it does look like fun, instead of thinking "that's crazy!".;)

Just checked out the pix!

Looks like you all had a great time out there. :)

Isn't winter just the BEST??!!

;)

Awesome pictures everyone!!! It looks like you guys had an interesting day especially with those spruce traps.

The spruce traps were a hoot. Once we peaked out on the top of the slide we thought things would be easier, but we were wrong...

They were like land mines. Suebuiscuit was taken out first, then myself, then Arm made it past us for a little while then was quoted, "Bleep, this is going to take a Bleeping while!"

Overall it was a fun day with some great friends...

Till' the next one...

Neighbor and Michelle, awesome to see you at the trailhead!:)

Last edited:
Darleen,

A great picture report. Your images captured the intensity of the climb and the effort it took to accomplish your objective.

Your slide pics were great ,balancing to take them must have been "fun" and the bushwack up to the top was truly knarley looked like 50 degrees at times and was well documented.
Love the Picassa format.
I it easy to upload to?

awesome report dudes!!!!!! seething with envy.

fingers crossed - next adventure, you will be blessed with my appearance - big test this weekend........:D

That was good one...no... a GREAT one!
Most awesome!!!
Looking forward tow watching the slide show again at a more leisurely pace.
I couldn't believe it :cool:

Darleen,

A great picture report. Your images captured the intensity of the climb and the effort it took to accomplish your objective.

Your slide pics were great ,balancing to take them must have been "fun" and the bushwack up to the top was truly knarley looked like 50 degrees at times and was well documented.
Love the Picassa format.
I it easy to upload to?

The balance part was tough at times.....I just sat down for most of them after digging the feet in deep!! ;)

Picassa is really easy and it's free for up to a certain limit. It works well for me to share pics..I've tried others and still like Picassa.

Glad you enjoyed the slideshow! Exhausting day but so much fun too!!:D