Packable Hiking Jacket.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guildhall

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the suggestions regarding crampons. Now, I'm also in the market for a packable hooded hiking jacket. I'm debating between spending (alot) more money and getting a down parka that could also be used as a regular winter coat, perhaps like these:

3.14478_d.jpg

http://www.backcountry.com/store/MHW0137/Mountain-Hardwear-Sub-Zero-SL-Down-Parka-Mens.html

outdoor-research-m's-megaplume-jacket.jpg

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/m_s_megaplume_jacket.html

Or, conversely saving alot of money and getting a basic insulator jacket. I can pick one up like this relatively cheap but I wonder how much warmth I'll lose. Since its synthetic it probably won't be as warm, but how much packability would I lose. Cabelas said its 27 ounces of synthetic, while the two above parkas are slightly over 2 pounds.

s7_922784_renderset_01

http://www.cabelas.com/spod-1/0041319.shtml

Does anyone have experience with these jackets?

What's the application going to be? Are you going on expeditions, over night, camp, around town in the north country? Are you looking for a all purpose jacket or something to fill a certain need?

Hi and welcome. The jackets you pictured are more in line with belay jackets. I would not want to hike in them unless I was above treeline in heavy wind in the winter.
I use several insulating layers, I like wool. On top of them, I use a shell with pit zips. I get really hot while hiking and I absolutely do not want to sweat. I carry a polyester fill jacket with a hood.(mine is from Wild Things, local to North Conway) for protection and warmth in damp weather. In the bottom of my pack, I have a down jacket. I do not carry the big puffys you listed unless I am belaying. I use a lightweight down sweater from montbell in a waterproof stuff sack, as you are probably aware, down is useless in wet conditions, the poyester fill one will keep you warmer.
When I stop, I put the down on over everything, unless it is raining, then I throw the down on and cover that with either the shell or the poly jacket.
Sandy

What's the application going to be? Are you going on expeditions, over night, camp, around town in the north country? Are you looking for a all purpose jacket or something to fill a certain need?

I echo this, just so you know.

Hi and welcome. The jackets you pictured are more in line with belay jackets. I would not want to hike in them unless I was above treeline in heavy wind in the winter.

Another use might be for camping. I have a very heavy down jacket, much like the one in the Mountain Hardware Sub Zero Parka. It's much too warm for hiking, even about the tree line in high winds, but works really well for hanging around the campsite in cold temps.

I agree w/ the previous posts--These will be much too warm to wear while hiking.....They'd be great to wear around the tent or LT if you were camping. If you sweat alot look to synthetic--It may weigh a little more but it performs better when damp and dries faster than down, but if you need absolute warmth go w/ a big puffy 800 count down parka...Still light and compressible but toasty

I'm pretty well equipped for warmer weather. The use I see is for winter hiking when standing around or walking downhill. For example, if it were 20 degrees and windy I'd bring it in a pack to wear on the way back downhill. I make alot of heat while climbing....

The cabelas jacket is a synthetic inner. Any ideas what temperatures it would be good down to?

I'm just curious how much warmth I sacrifice for synthetic over down, as well as packability.

Ditto with all of the above.

In rare occasions I have worn a down jacket during a ridge-walk where it is cold enough that I need it, other than that I never wear one when moving.

During day-hikes on excessively cold days (0 F) I'll pack it one for a backup layer (along with a sleeping bag in case of emergency).

On winter overnight trips I'll pack one and only put it on when I get to my destination and need to stay warm. For that, I find it is better than any other item (other than a sleeping bag).

I use several insulating layers, I like wool. On top of them, I use a shell with pit zips. I get really hot while hiking and I absolutely do not want to sweat. I carry a polyester fill jacket with a hood.(mine is from Wild Things, local to North Conway) for protection and warmth in damp weather. In the bottom of my pack, I have a down jacket. I do not carry the big puffys you listed unless I am belaying. I use a lightweight down sweater from montbell in a waterproof stuff sack, as you are probably aware, down is useless in wet conditions, the poyester fill one will keep you warmer.
When I stop, I put the down on over everything, unless it is raining, then I throw the down on and cover that with either the shell or the poly jacket.
Sandy

Typically when I hike I wear a thermal shirt and bring a sweater and wind jacket. This system is good to about 30 and windy. I'd like to be able to hike down to 15 in wind, or around zero in light wind. I'm not so much concerned about going uphill because of the heat generated, but rather when stopped or walking downhill. I'd figure I could go thermal shirt, sweater and bring a jacket/parka and keep it pretty light for day hiking.

The down parkas are listed around $250, while the synthetic is about $50. Would there be a great difference in warmth? The synthetic uses 'Microdown', and is a few ounces lighter.

Given your description of wants and conditions I think you'd be completely fine with the cheaper synthetic one. I'd actually put those conditions under just throwing on a fleece. You'll get a lot of use out of it even if you really felt one day you needed something heavier. You'll also be less pissed when your around a camp fire one day and burn a hole in it.:)

I guess my thinking is that it would be nice to have a jacket that could double as an around the town parka in very cold weather.

I do agree ColdRiverRun about price-- I'd feel alot less stress using a cheap jacket around the fire!

It seems pretty narrowed down due to price and availability. These 3 seem to jump out at me:

The megaplume jacket is down to about $225
http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/m_s_megaplume_jacket.html

The cabelas jacket is about $50
http://www.cabelas.com/spod-1/0041319.shtml

and a "compromise" would be the montbell light parka for about $140:
http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=70&p_id=2301315

Anybody have any ideas about the cabelas jacket for cold? It looks pretty decent, I just wonder how much warmth and packability is lost.

I'd like to do more winter hiking-- any speculation on the temperature ratings of these jackets for just standing around or ridgewalks? They're all about 30 inches long or so, so they'd come down right around the pocket or slightly lower.

I've found that I can get quite a bit of use out of a down vest rather than a full jacket. That between a fleece and shell will usually take me down quite low. Packs small and costs less. I tend to be on the warm side, though.

You might take a look at the EMS web site. They've got a few vests and jackets at half price or better. Limited sizes though.

Sandy

This is a really good summary, give or take a few details, of what most winter hikers (including me and everyone I know) do for layering.

However, I disagree on one point: If it's raining AND cold enough to need a down jacket, I think Knob Creek by the woodstove is probably the best course of action.

Layers, Layers, Layers

Sandy

Trainwreck is right on, I also carry a down jacket but it's mainly for an emergency, or camping. I have put it on when I wait for a few hours, for what ever reason, but I would never hike in it, even going down. A good hard or soft shell is a much better choice with layers underneath. There are some good layers to choose from out there. This is even true for around town.

It's a good idea to have a good down jacket with you on a cold winter hike but you probably won't wear it much (maybe on the 8000 meter hikes):)

A big down jacket is too much to use as a normal winter coat. I use a Wild Things EP hooded jacket for the conditions you describe. Here is a link to a similar jacket that's on sale: Ellsworth

Here it is again: Ellsworth

Last edited:
Just to throw in another two cents (which is about all I'd get if I cashed out my 401K, but I digress...)

1) Your intended use will likely impact what size you get. For a bang-around-town jacket, (i.e., the only coat on at one time), personally I'd be wearing a large. However, for an insulating parka to be worn over several other layers around camp or at a belay, I ended up getting extra-large. You might have to make some compromises if you want to get one jacket to fill both roles.

2) The pack size/compressibility of down vs. synthetic is very different. My EMS Glacier 650 down jacket (non-hooded) compresses down to a substantially smaller package than my Wild Things Belay Jacket (although this does have a hood). Currently, I just cram the belay jacket in the top of my pack for easy access at the belays, but am seriously thinking of picking up a compression sack for it, in order to save some room in the climbing pack for other luxuries.

Like food.