which sock has the most cushion?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
I'm looking to pick up a few pairs of the sock that has the most amount of cushioning. The only requirement I have is that they aren't cotton.

So far, I've been using the "Mountaineering Extra-Heavy Mid-Calf" from Smartwool . They are the best I've seen so far.

Is there anything that beats these??

Like Fish, I have used them for so many years that I cannot remember what the competition feels like. I usually stop at the LL Bean store in Concord and stock up on what is on sale; I think I have enough of them in stock to last as long as I do :)

For summer & winter hiking. I have recurring tibial stress fractures, so the maximum cushion in my boots, insoles and socks is ideal.

I don't care if it's 110 degrees out, I still use the thick socks. Just how I roll.

I wear some version of Smartwool socks nearly 100% of the time. The remaining time - when it's truly cold - I wear boiled wool socks. They're known generically as Dachstein since that's the area in Europe where boilded wool garmets are often made. Campmor used to carry socks and mitts with the name Himalaya - same thing.

I find the Dachstein have more cushioning. And, they're WARM, which might or might not be a factor in your choice.

I know I like the VT Darn Tough socks. Real high thread count loops in the major wear areas. I have yet to have a pair wear out.

Columbia Morino wool socks. I found em on sale last year at Campmor so I got a few pairs for work. They turned out to be the softest most cussiony socks by far. I use to get the THORLO Mountaineering socks. I like the Columbias better.

I'm looking to pick up a few pairs of the sock that has the most amount of cushioning. The only requirement I have is that they aren't cotton.

So far, I've been using the "Mountaineering Extra-Heavy Mid-Calf" from Smartwool . They are the best I've seen so far.

Is there anything that beats these??

I wear these all year round--Great cushioning....Very comfy

I use Thorlos Hiking Socks: http://www.thorlo.com/hiking-socks.php

They're excellent, because they have cushioning in the high-contact areas, yet leave the rest fairly thin. This allows for excellent shock-absorption, while not making the sock to hot during warmer weather. The company makes socks for both winter weather and summer temperatures. I would highly recommend these!

I bought 1 pair of thicker "cushioned" wool socks. Freakin not cheap and tended to be too bulky and did not fit well.
I would consider replacing your boot's insoles with some of the "Superfeet" type.

I bought 1 pair of thicker "cushioned" wool socks. Freakin not cheap and tended to be too bulky and did not fit well.
I would consider replacing your boot's insoles with some of the "Superfeet" type.

I actually use Sorbothane Ultra-sole insoles, which have the best cushion of any insoles I've come across, including Superfeet. I was actually thinking about also posting a new thread asking for everyone's opinion as the insoles with the most cushion.

hate to say it, but if you're using cushioned insoles and asking about cushioned socks...maybe your boots are the problem. my montrail olympus' hurt the soles of my feet after a long day. my danners and koflachs :confused: do not.

I actually use Sorbothane Ultra-sole insoles, which have the best cushion of any insoles I've come across, including Superfeet. I was actually thinking about also posting a new thread asking for everyone's opinion as the insoles with the most cushion.
The theory behind the elastomer rubber insoles (eg Sorbothane or Sof Sole) is that the rubber absorbs the shock by deforming which alters the shape of the surface that your foot rests on.

Superfeet use a firm shaped surface which deforms less under pressure. The shape of the heel cup is supposed to spread the pressure out and use one's internal shock absorbing heel pad. This results in less deformation of the surface that your foot rests on and perhaps a more stable platform.

Both have arch support molded/shaped in, but I suspect that the Superfeet approach gives more stable arch support.

Each approach has advantages and disadvantages. I suggest that you try both and use whichever works better for you. I have some of each (Sof Sole and Superfeet)--they both work for me.

If you put too much cushioning in a shoe, it will have a sloppy connection to your foot which may also make your footing sloppy.

Doug

Last edited:
Check these socks out. Cabelas Wool Boot Sock item #XJ-812018. They are Made in the USA, $8.99. They are my winter hiking sock.

Heck; I'm wearing them as slippers right now.

I like SuperFeet.

Joe.

Last edited:
If you're near an LL Bean outlet, check out their large selection of Smartwool socks. They're all Irregulars, but I've yet to find why they didn't pass QC. The Trekking Heavy Cushion socks are around $9.00, about half regular price. They work well for me with a thin liner sock.

teejay