Bushwhack 46er

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

percious

Reaction score
Ok, so this weekend I took my buddy up to the dax for the first time. We did, Marshall, Gray, and Marcy, all "bushwhacks." Seemed like the only true bushwhack was Marcy over from Gray (Very half-a$$ed trail). Anyway Here is my question. Are there any peaks that are not accessable via bushwhack? Here are some of the trailed ones that I know are available for a bushwhack:

Gothics
LWJ
Dix
Wright
Iroquois
Colden
Skylight (from Redfield)
Nippletop
Giant

Just thought it would be interesting to attack the peaks via bushwhack, instead of standard routes. What do you guys think?

-percious

>>Anyway Here is my question. Are there any peaks that are not accessable via bushwhack? <<

what do you consider a "bushwack" ? a bushwack doesn't have to include a herdpath as did your "bushwack" from gray to marcy - the first one to do any of these peaks did them on a bushwack - - just make a left or a right from any trail anyplace that there is not another trail and you are bushwacking - it may take a long time to push through the branches and climb over and under the blowdown but it is possible to do a bushwack to any spot that you want to go, it just won't be as quick or as sure as a herdpath, and it is kind of hard to follow a compass line when you encounter unexpected cliffs that you have to go around (a gps is good in these situations).

Bushwhacking

Any mountain can be done as a bushwhack. All you need are a map and compass, some imagination and balls.:D

Happy Trails

Pete,

John is a friend of mine and I thought his book would be a good starting point for someone interested. When you read it, you get more of a sense of his perspective than a "how to".
An established herd path between or up peaks was not how he did these.
They were by non-established routes.
Iroquois, for example, cold be climbed from the Indian Pass trail, but not by the herd path from Boundary or up from Marshall Pass.

PB

I ordered the book today, they had to call the publisher to see if there were any copies left. Thankfully there were, as I have been shut down on a couple of books lately.

I have bushwhacked about 12 now. Some nice (cascade, porter, phelps, wright, iroquois,lower wolf jaw, nippletop,dix,colden,giant,)

some bad(marcy,nye)

It's a love/hate relationship. Someday I may complete the 46 by bushwhacks, but who knows.

beta on LWJ

Peak_bgr - would love any beta on your bushwhack of Lower Wolfjaw - have gone at that from a lot of different angles and was wondering what a bushwhack approach would be like - a very cliffy peak in spots...