Kancamagus Brook Ski Trail, Old Skidder Trail, Flume Brook Trail Loop, 2/15/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzbo

Reaction score
Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kenne
Date: 2/15/09

After previous day’s outing to Scar Ridge, I wanted to do something less demanding and off the beaten track, but not one involving bushwhacking. Last August I hiked Livermore Pass from the Kanc. and attempted to visit the Kancamangus Ski Trail, but turned back on account of the swampy terrain it passed through. Here was an opportunity to traverse the ski trail from the Waterville Valley side.

After a late start at 10:40 from parking lot at Livermore Road TH, I was one of few persons with snowshoes out of dozens of X-country skiers. I headed down Livermore Road and banged left on Greeley Ponds Trail. GP Trail was well packed from all the traffic. I was soon at junction of Kanc Brook Ski Trail after carefully noting my descent route, Flume Brook Trail was well broken out.

The Kanc Brook Ski Trail was well packed by skiers. This beautiful side hill trail follows the north bank of the Kancamagus Brook at a gentle grade (Blazed Blue for cross-country) which is just what I wanted for this outing. It gets full sun making it feel like spring conditions. The trail crosses the brook where the stream valley makes a dog-leg and continues climbing gently. At 2500’, the trail makes a hair-pin turn and slabs hill side ultimately topping out in the broad col of Flume Peak. There are nice views through trees of south slopes of Mount Kancamangus and Osceaola on upper portions of this trail. The slopes to the north above the col are open birch glades and might provide a good approach to Mount Kancamagus.

The saddle looks very different from how it looked in August. The terrain is fairly level and criss-crossed with meandering water courses. The snow pack is deeply furrowed with deep holes with frozen water in bottom. The snow appears to be at least 4’ deep here. I soon reached the little ponds. The second pond provides an interesting close-up view of North Slide on North Tripyramid peaking over the shoulder of Scaur Peak.

In contrast to August I didn’t see a single sign of moose. I guess they’ve retreated to other micro-climates this time of year. I soon reached the Livermore Trail which was also ski-tracked out. The left turn leading towards the Kancamagus Highway appeared to be totally un-traveled. I turned right to take the Old Skidder Trail which was only lightly traveled with ski tracks and no snow shoes.

The Old Skidder Trail descends side-hill fashion to “The Flume”. The last 1/3 mile is just barely cut into the steep hill side above the yawning chasm of the Flume. I was thankful the snow was Styrofoam consistency good for gripping with MSR EVO ascent snowshoes. This trail would be scary in icy conditions and no crampons. The downhill side is tremendously steep.

I traveled the 0.2 mile to check out the Flume. It’s interesting, but I didn’t linger long. In waning hours of a winter day this trail gets no sun at all and feels dark, cold, and lonely. On the other hand it might provide a cool refuge on a hot summer day. There were 4 or 5 minor blow-downs along the trail down below the Flume easily dealt with a bow saw. Hike down to Greeley Pond Trail and back to the TH was uneventful. I returned to the car at 3:40 making for RT time of 5.0 hours and RT distance of approx. 8.0 miles.

Last edited:
In contrast to August I didn’t see a single sign of moose. I guess they’ve retreated to other micro-climates this time of year.
Maybe they are hiding this year...

I usually see moose tracks when I ski this loop (except return via Livermore Tr/Rd rather than Flume Skidder Tr). I usually see the tracks between the crossing of Kancamagus Brook and the height-of-land. Once there was a short section of KBT below the stream crossing that was so trampled that it might have been used as a moose yard. Never seen a moose on the loop, however.

Doug

Thanks so much for posting this trip report, Jazzbo. I've had this exact trip on my radar for a while and keep putting it off. You've made me want to put it higher on the to-do list for sure.

-Ivy

Maybe they are hiding this year...

I usually see moose tracks when I ski this loop (except return via Livermore Tr/Rd rather than Flume Skidder Tr). I usually see the tracks between the crossing of Kancamagus Brook and the height-of-land. Once there was a short section of KBT below the stream crossing that was so trampled that it might have been used as a moose yard. Never seen a moose on the loop, however.

Doug

Hi Doug

You had your accident on the Kanc Brook Ski Trail didn't you? If so ... Now that I've traveled it, I'm curious what part of the trail was it?

Ray

Last edited:
You had your accident on the Kanc Brook Ski Trail didn't you? If so ... Now that I've traveled it, I'm curious what part of the trail was it?
Yup! (Well, on the loop anyhow...) I had come up the KBST and was headed down.

The site was on Livermore Rd (Tr) ~midway between the turnoff to the Old Skidder Tr and the hairpin turn at the top of the switchback . Straight and easy skiing on a nice wide road... You turned off ~100 yds before the site.

Haven't been back since the accident--now 2 years and a few days ago. Might be in good enough shape to give it a try before the snow melts.

Doug