Eagles anyone?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I just was listening to John Denver's Rocky Mountain High. In it he says "He would be a poorer man if he never saw a Eagle fly". I have never seen a eagle. Where is the best place to look for them. I herd that cranberry lake to tupper lake is good.

There are lots of oportunities in Central New York. Montezuma Swamp, places along the canal, and, if you can believe it, Carousel Center Mall.
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2009/01/bald_eagles_soar_over_onondaga.html

teejay
Along the Hudson River (or other bodies of water), where there is open water in Winter. I saw one a few weeks ago near Poughkeepsie. I saw 5 at once a few weeks ago, on the Rondout Reservoir. I have a nice pic in my office of one perched in a tree over looking the Esopus.

I've even seen them right along I-87!

Eagles seem to be thriving all over the northeast, as a group of us have noticed on canoe camping trips we've been taking annually for over 20 years. They are no longer a rare occurence. In the NY/NJ area, we saw several while we paddled the Upper Delaware and through the Water Gap in May 2007.

I saw one take a HUGE (in this case, about a foot long) trout out of Lower Ausable Lake near the dam. It was a jaw-dropper, and I'm with John Denver on this one.

Speaking of poorer men & women, YouTube JD and Frank Zappa testifying on censorship: terrific American material there. "Rocky Mountain High" had people (um, "intellectually challenged" people?) calling Denver a drug-use advocator. See also Rachel Carson's "Silent Spring."

You can also see raptors in zoos, where they're usually getting rehabbed before release back to the woods. I saw a Golden eagle at Roger Williams' Zoo in Providence. Good place to see the animals (zoo politics aside). If you're in Worcester County, they're seen at the Quabbin Reservoir, too. Bring your fly rod and fish the tail water there! I'd also check Wachusett Mountain in Princeton, Greylock in Adams, and Monadnock in Jaffrey.

--Mike.

Last edited:
They are on open water mainly on rivers. They will start moving north soon. You could see both immatures and adults. CT now has nesting pairs. They are common during the fall migration, although you will not see one every day. there have been golden eagles seen.

My best eagle was in Bluff Utah. I hiked into a region that had Anastasi petrolglyphs on cliffs. As we approached a golden screamed over our head circled around. We were nowhere near the nest.

Funny, I was just in Providence and saw a pair of balds at the Williams Park zoo. Neither was doing any flying however - one had an obviously damaged wing, and the fact that the enclosure had no roof makes me suspect the other one was injured too. Did get to see the snow leopard making some amazing leaps - that's flying as far as I'm concerned. (That enclosure had a roof, and needed it - the leopard could easily climb the walls and seemed to amuse itself by stalking the children below who weren't aware of its presence.)

Powow River, Kingston, NH

We are fortunate enough to live on a tributary to the Merrimack River here in Southern, NH. Last year in mid-March the ice began to melt and the river opened up. Each year at this time we are treated to the spectacle of one or two Bald eagles, but last year there were at least six that we kept track of.

I know it's a long way from NY but ADK dib and anyone else who is interested is welcome to come by as the ice opens up and watch for them with us. PM me and when conditions are right and the eagles show up perhaps we can get together.

KDT

Take a trip out west. In Tahoe last week we had an enormous bald eagle soar right past the car while driving up Rte 89.

There are nesting eagles that can be seen from the causeway on the Ashokan Reservoir in the Catskills. We were there last summer and saw one of them. It appears to be a very popular eagle spotting sight.

The immatures like to nest around and fish along the Hudson River. I have a friend who lives in Croton on Hudson, and from her deck you can see Bald Eagles several times a day!

The Bald Eagle MJ refers to was an adult, HUGE! We saw it coasting over the Truckee River as we drove alongside it. Its wingspan was very broad, and its head was also very large. Magnificent birds -- so magestic and confident looking -- I do feel richer for having seen an adult. The younger birds are beautiful as well, but there was just something special about this full grown eagle that took my breath away.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wardsgirl

How about Lake Umbagog?

IICR they have nested there.

There is an area called "Eagle Island", where the Magalloway River flows into Umbagog, right where the Androscoggin River flows out. Great place to spend the day wandering among the loons, moose, herons and eagles! The waterways nearest the island with the nest are roped off with floating lines (a good thing), so you can only get so close. There is a great campsite on the squiggly shaped island to the NE of the Eagle Island.
EagleIsland.jpg

EagleIsland1.jpg

A few more photos from Umbagog

Last edited:
We have seen up to four bald eagles, two adult and two immature, at the Umbagog nest and roost that Tim describes. Last summer we saw three with only one immature.

I have also seen them at Hog Island in Muscongus Bay. At the Snake River in Wyoming we saw about one adult Bald Eagle per mile for several miles ... like they each had a franchise on a territory.

The first one I ever saw was several years ago while crossing the Merrimac river on I-95 ... it was flying over the bridge the same time I was driving over the bridge. If that wasn't a distraction ...

Also saw one while crossing the Connecticut River on the Mass Pike a couple years after that. The attendant at the toll gate told me eagle sitings were pretty common there.

Saw one last summer one at Holeb Pond near Jackman, ME and at a few other locations. Bald eagles have recently been removed from endangered species lists in many jurisdictions.

Just today while overlooking the Rio Grande in Langtry, Texas, we saw two golden eagles. I believe both were mature.

There are several(at least three) on the Seekonk River between Providence and East Providence and have been there all winter. You can see them from Swan Point Cemetery or down by the Boat Club.

There are several(at least three) on the Seekonk River between Providence and East Providence and have been there all winter. You can see them from Swan Point Cemetery or down by the Boat Club.
There's a nest on one of the reservoir islands in western RI
Hard to miss due to all the folks lined up along the road with their spotting scopes ;)
As for the Connecticut River, I saw three this past Friday. Two in Rocky Hill, one in Haddam.
There's a lot of eagles that winter in southern New England and can be spotted over large areas of open water.
Most often, unless you're lucky enough to spot one perched or feeding, they soar up so high that most people never notice