Eagles anyone?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Magalloway River, as Tim cites, is a great place to see them. They are often fishing several miles upstream from his photo and, in a kayak or canoe, can be seen up close.
We see them frequently in Kittery Point. This immature was 100 yards from my house.

3305197674_d9c61fb367.jpg

You might want to check out this thread: http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=5373

And I have seen eagles on Round Lake (near Ballston Spa, NY), on Tupper Lake and Lake Simon, and near several other larger lakes in the Adirondacks. It's still an exciting experience for me, though I have begun to loose track of each sighting. I think that is a good thing, though, it means they're coming back very well!

There are nesting eagles that can be seen from the causeway on the Ashokan Reservoir in the Catskills. We were there last summer and saw one of them. It appears to be a very popular eagle spotting sight.

Recently saw a couple, probably a mated pair. We saw them perched near (not on) the nest that can be seen from Monument Rd., the road that runs along the dam of the upper basin. As we walked back on the section of road that goes through the woods, the eagles flew overhead and perched in a tree side by side. They vocalized at one another-I believe this was courtship behavior. Very romantic. :D

Also saw one fishing the Hudson near Saugerties Lighthouse a week ago. Bald Eagles, while certainly not common, are not that difficult to view if you know where (and when) to look.

Oh, and those photos are amazing, regardless if they were taken by a pro or not.

Great thread.

Matt

Take a canoe or kayak up the inlet at the south end of Hemlock Lake. Several bald eagles there, and you can get pretty close if you're quiet.

Eagles

I just was listening to John Denver's Rocky Mountain High. In it he says "He would be a poorer man if he never saw a Eagle fly". I have never seen a eagle. Where is the best place to look for them. I herd that cranberry lake to tupper lake is good.

Schuylkill River in Philadelphia, seen from the R3 commuter train as it pauses in front of Children's Hospital before proceeding to 30th St Station. This is the tidal portion of the Schuylkill; the bird seen may be one of a breeding pair which has established a nest at the old Philadelphia Navy Yard. Occasional migrating birds follow this path as well.

Walt

I see Eagles along the CT River from Littleton, NH to Hanover, NH several times a year. There are often sightings near where Ledyard Bridge crosses the River. I also see them where the Ompompanoosuc River drains into the CT River just north of there.

Hey! I see them about 3x's a week coming in by Lake Delta, dib! There's at least 2 adults and 1 juvi that I've seen...swing over that way after work, go for a little jaunt around the trails in the State Park, and Im sure you'd have the same luck seeing them. They're beautiful! :)

Not an eagle, but a red-tailed hawk ... This one: was outside the office and I managed to grab the photo through the window with my little point-and-shoot. Who would have thought I should carry the SLR to work??

Simple get for those in MA

Eagles are "abundant "( hey it's all relative) from the ledges at Lancaster State Park Ma or at least they were last October.

Bald eagle sightings are not uncommon where I live in Putnam Lake NY.We're about 20 miles as the eagle flies from the observation point in Ct. that Chip mentioned. This thread has solved a personal mystery of mine; where have they been this winter?? Answer: Our lake has been frozen since mid/late December, no open water. Most years we get a January thaw and the lake usually does not refreeze. John

Last edited:
We see an eagle almost every summer in the Narrows of Lake George. It seems to hang out on the east flank of the Tongue Mtn. range, near West Dollar Island.

Pat T

Or down my way. The Pennsylvania Grand Canyon has 3 nesting birds I believe. My best expierence was one spring we were rafting through the gorge and a bald eagle flew about 10 feet over our heads and then swooped down and skimmed the water surface. Then scooped up a trout right in front of us. JUST AWESOME!!!!!!

As my lake "ices out", I spotted a bald eagle on the ice (probably scavenging ice fisherman leftovers) yesterday on a walk around the lake. He took flight about 15 minutes later, always a thrill to see. John

I think I saw an eagle on the descent from East Osceolla Saturday. By the time I fumbled my camera out and got the picture it had glided quite a ways away and was just a blurry spec in the picture. Oh well.

Here's a photo from a close encounter with a bald eagle during a recent road trip. The bird was feeding on a freshly road-killed deer carcass, and flew up into a roadside tree as we approached. I pulled over and grabbed the camera. The bird flew back toward the deer. Got off three decent shots through a slightly dirty windshield. My favorite is attached.

For photo buffs, this was shot with a Nikon D2Hs camera fitted with a Nikon 28-70mm zoom lens -- zoomed to 70mm (equivalent of 105mm for 35mm film). Some cropping. But the bird definitely was close!

G.