XC ski areas

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skibones

Reaction score
Has anyone skied at the Bear Notch Ski Touring area? I was wondering what the conditions are like.
Also, does anyone know how the grooming and conditions are at the Jackson Ski Touring area?
I can tell you that Waterville Valley-both the alpine and XC are great.
Thanks for any help. I hate to leave Waterville if the conditions at the other two places aren't that good.
Skibones

Has anyone skied at the Bear Notch Ski Touring area? I was wondering what the conditions are like.
Also, does anyone know how the grooming and conditions are at the Jackson Ski Touring area?
I can tell you that Waterville Valley-both the alpine and XC are great.
Thanks for any help. I hate to leave Waterville if the conditions at the other two places aren't that good.
Skibones

I've enjoyed skiing at both places, but not this year. Jackson has been doing a good job for years and their network is vast - it was great last winter, anyway. (But it also has cost more for a ticket there than at other places, in the past anyway.) I haven't skied Bear Notch in five years or so - it was good then, but there are closer places for me (and I ski more in the woods than I used to).

If you don't know it, you may find the SkiNH Cross-Country Conditions page a useful guide to how much terrain is open at various NH XC areas.

Last edited:
We love BNST. Conditions have been great this year, and they usually have a long season.

And (well-behaved) dogs are allowed, so this is one of the few places for skijoring on groomed trails. We've been having a blast with our two 10-month old Siberians.
IMG_0330b.jpg

Hey, that's cool, psmart! We saw a guy with a mature (big!) Malamute and an adolescent Malamute/Pit Bull mix at the Zealand winter parking area. He said he was going to the hut & then back down Spruce Goose. We saw his tracks all the way. When he made it across the street and clipped in, he literally flew out of view! Way cool.

Despite not being a cross country skier, I wil make a plug for the new Nansen Ski area way up north in Milan NH. The trail network was relocated to Milan Hill State park last year and the ski club got a professional trail designer to lay it out. They have a groomer but being a volunteer effort I couldnt comment on how often they groom.

You are supposed to buy a button from a local business to ski the trails. If you dont an elderly norwiegan lady will probably come up and accost you for not supporting the club;)