New product for women on the go

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not new.
It exist for several years. And it is very usefull for the womens in a trek and used in a pee bottle during the night in a tent.

Yeah, how is that new?

Of course, three men replied to this thread so far... :p

Jay

Drewknight, unfortunately it doesn't work that way:D!

I have one of these

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80976

but it is absolutely useless for peeing outdoors. You may as well just drop your drawers and not be bothered with the positioning involved and the cleaning of the device.

As for peeing in the tent, yvon, see post #59 in this thread where I discuss the merits of Crystal Lite.

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25909&page=2

It would be nice to see some other females weigh in on this.

I couldn't be bothered by using a device like that. I've had to pee in locations that were more exposed than I would have preferred (Western Breech area on Kilimanjaro -- no rocks or shrubs to hide behind (pun intended) and being watched by a guide. I've learned detachment, to just do what I must do but be as polite and quick about it as possible.

I think I would really get into the concept of drawing pictures or symbols if I were male. :rolleyes:

I bought one of those funnels for a mountaineering trip dreading the thought of using it but thinking I would have to. All my guy friends were teasing me. I had the last laugh - never ever used it, on any trip! :)
Women have bigger bladder capacity, I think. I was always able to wait until I got up in the morning, and on the rare occasions I was feeling too full in the middle of the night, I went out to the pee spot. It was only a brief time in the cold after all.
On one particular trip, there was a very pretty blonde guide with another group - no mean feat looking 'hot' on Denali. Guys could not take their eyes off her, which meant they also got to watch her casually pull out the funnel at the pee hole and have at it. Instant turnoff!

Ward's Girl - I went back and looked at your suggestion for the Crystal Lite bottle idea. I brought a peanut butter jar with me to Kili for the tent and discovered to my horror that it didn't hold enough, and I think it was the altitude that didn't allow me to stop the flow before it overflowed. I should have asked DougPaul, then might have tried the container out for size at home in the shower.

I should have asked DougPaul, then might have tried the container out for size at home in the shower.
Had you asked me, this is approximately what I would have said:

For a pee bottle, you probably want a 500--1000ml wide mouth bottle. Make sure that it doesn't leak or you could end up with a urine soaked sleeping bag. You can pee into a measuring cup at home to estimate the required volume.

Re the appliances:
There have been a number of such appliances (eg http://www.rei.com/product/407267). I don't know how well they work. But you will end up with an appliance with urine on it which you will need to keep clean enough to minimize the chance of an infection and will need to keep from contaminating other objects.

There is also the technique of peeing standing up. There used to be a website "www.restrooms.org/standing.html" which has been changed into a link to a commercial product. However, the info can still be found at the internet archive: http://web.archive.org/web/20040213142128/http://www.restrooms.org/standing.html
(This site was developed by a nurse and may be a bit graphic for some.)

If you try any of the above, I suggest that you test it out and develop any required technique in the shower before trying it on the trail.

Doug

Last edited:
I just don't understand why diapers are so maligned these days. For men and women. Jeez, change it once in the morning before work (or a hike) and you're good to go.

-Dr. Wu

Eeeew:eek:! Overflow! Eruggles, how awful!

Unlike The Lisa, I must have a small bladder. I'm guessing that the Crystal Lite container holds about 16oz.- more than enough for me. Of course, when I'm well-hydrated, I may 'go' more than once in the night. In that case, I would offload the container's contents in a predesignated corner of the floorless tent vestibule. It would only affect snow surface the size of a quarter, since the warm pee would melt through the snow.

It would definitely be a good idea to practice at home to estimate for the capacity of pee bottle needed. I would simulate the experience by positioning myself over a sleeping pad with the container in hand. Note that it is good form to move the sleeping BAG completely out of the way first, so you can hover over the sleeping PAD. It would be much easier to wipe a dribble off a pad than to continue a multi-day winter traverse with a down bag that smells like pee!

I hope the guys are getting a kick out of this:rolleyes:.

What on earth does DougPaul have to do with it:confused:?

Maybe Pringle containers could be used instead of Crystal Lite.. somebody needs a scientific mathematical thesis on the volume differences as opposed to the diameter on Crystal Lite containers vrs pringle containers. :)

Jay

Maybe Pringle containers could be used instead of Crystal Lite.. somebody needs a scientific mathematical thesis on the volume differences as opposed to the diameter on Crystal Lite containers vrs pringle containers. :)

Jay
How about your tentmate's sleeping bag? Last time I went backpacking with Giggy that's what I used...

Of course there's the risk of your friend performing a little switcheroo with your sleeping bag.

One person on this site has a story about his camping partners accidentally using the pee bottle to make spaghetti.

-Dr. Wu

I don't believe Pringles containers are watertight. Also, you guys totally miss the point when it comes to the importance of "rim flexibility." DougPaul's 500-1000ml wide mouth bottle would be fine, but only if the container was flexible enough to squeeze into an oval-like shape. Think about it, surely (most of) you have been near a woman's nether-regions before! A Pringles container, aside from not being watertight, is also inflexible.

So far, Dr Wu002's diaper idea sounds better!:D

Wardsgirl - I was thinking the same thing. A large opening in a container is not what's needed. To put it more or less delicately, if you know how the system operates, you don't need much width for size, just flexibility for placement. And then, of course, volume, to avoid overflow :D.

I have read of a woman using a coffee can in a tent at 14K on Denali. (I think this was an on-the-spot improvisation rather than preplanned.) Presumably it was immediately emptied out the tent door.

Doug

I have read of a woman using a coffee can in a tent at 14K on Denali. (I think this was an on-the-spot improvisation rather than preplanned.) Presumably it was immediately emptied out the tent door.

Doug

While a metallic coffee can has many uses in the backcountry, (emergency pan to boil water in, storage container, hammer for tent pegs, etc.), it is even more inflexible than a Pringles container. Also, depending on the style and brand of coffee, the rim surely exceeds the span of the average woman's vulva by at least a few inches.

Why do you presume that it was immediately emptied out the tent door? A lidded device that could store a large volume of liquid such as a "coffee can" could likely be used several times before being filled to capacity.

Mad River: Your friend on Kili may have had to pack out solids. Certainly not urine. Our group six years ago didn't have to pack out, but I've since had to do that on the Grand Teton and Whitney and was prepared to do so on Rainier, but it wasn't necessary :eek:. While not my choice method, I understand the need and find it easy enough to deal with. The Exum camp on the Grand has a great facility -- looks like an outhouse, with privacy, but no pit for waste. Not so good when it rains, either.

Last edited:
A coffee can would come in handy as a receptacle for solids. Maybe that's what DougPaul's Denali eliminator story refers to. Also, anyone who has backpacked with a 3 year-old will tell you that a coffee can is worth its weight during a rainy night in the tent when the kiddo has to "go."

While a metallic coffee can has many uses in the backcountry, (emergency pan to boil water in, storage container, hammer for tent pegs, etc.), it is even more inflexible than a Pringles container. Also, depending on the style and brand of coffee, the rim surely exceeds the span of the average woman's vulva by at least a few inches.
I wasn't recommending the can, just noting that it had been used. I presume that the user did not attempt to insert it into her vulva--I had been envisioning the low-wide style of can. (I made a quick check of the book that I think the reference came from and couldn't find it, but the climb was in 1992 if that helps you to guess the available coffee can styles.)

Why do you presume that it was immediately emptied out the tent door? A lidded device that could store a large volume of liquid such as a "coffee can" could likely be used several times before being filled to capacity.
Because I would not trust a coffee can to be water tight--I've seen a number of similar cans leak. The lids also don't seem that secure.

Doug