New product for women on the go

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't recommending the can, just noting that it had been used. I presume that the user did not attempt to insert it into her vulva--I had been envisioning the low-wide style of can. (I made a quick check of the book that I think the reference came from and couldn't find it, but the climb was in 1992 if that helps you to guess the available coffee can styles.)

Because I would not trust a coffee can to be water tight--I've seen a number of similar cans leak. The lids also don't seem that secure.

Doug

You can't insert anything into a vulva. It is external. Perhaps you are thinking of a vagina, but that is not where pee comes out of.

Interesting the conversations you can have on these forums. I'm sure this thread was initiated innocently enough:rolleyes:

Anyway, when it comes to peeing...I must have the smallest bladder in the world. My hubby is always teasing me about how many times I have to stop on the trail...really sucks in the winter. Maybe this is why I never seem to drink enough while hiking...I'm scared to have to go...AGAIN!!!

Besides, until we can just unzip and presto...nothing will quite compare to the ease that a guy has.

I'm partial to the Arizona tea bottles as a receptacle for fluids. They're study, light, and hold about a quart. Don't know how well they're work for women though. They do have a relatively wide neck, and the purpose of the bottle is a bit more discreet.

I used to hike with a friend I nicknamed "Ms. Peebody" because she took lots of afternoon bio breaks. Another friend tells about a "pee circle" when they were hiking in a suburban location, where people circled 'round the one who had to go (face out, of course).

Last year I roped up with a woman that used the gadget Doug linked to from REI.
Standing there peeing she had no problem carrying on a conversation with me similar to two guy peeing. Very discreet, and she loved it.

I asked if I could give it a go, but she declined on some lame hygiene excuse.

For all the hassle of carrying and using some kind of container I find it quicker to just drop, squat and go.

Interesting the conversations you can have on these forums...Besides, until we can just unzip and presto...nothing will quite compare to the ease that a guy has.

If MadRiver can hike in a kilt, why can't I hike in a skirt. Stand or squat...what could be easier? Now to find the right skirt. That's another thread.

Last edited:
Stand or squat...what could be easier? Now to find the right skirt.
I did mention a diaper as a better third option. I wear one at work and nobody seems to mind. I haven't taken it hiking yet though.

-Dr. Wu

When paddling the Yukon River Quest in a 6-person voyageur canoe, we have to figure out how to broach the issue with a lady or two (two ladies 2 years ago, one this past year). Long local training days have the same problem. We don't stop the race to pee. Guys on the team of course just use whatever bottle is handy. I've heard some of the other teams used diapers, but I can't imagine sitting in a wet diaper for hours and hours while paddling. Our team ladies eventually resorted to a home made funnel type arrangement with some sort of simple collection container, though they had to pretty much completely drop trou to make it work. I know they have tried the commercial type of ladies funnel and didn't like how they worked. A jacket tied around the waist helped for a time, but eventually they just said to heck with that. When the time came the guys were trusted to turn head and look at the "other natural scenery" along the riverbank. A close knit team just has to learn to trust and respect one another. A bottle of bleach helps to disinfect the canoe at the end of the race. :rolleyes:

This coming July is the Yukon1000... expecting 7 days of 18 hour continuous paddling with 2 gals and 4 guys in in the canoe.

Last edited:
On Denali last spring, the "Lady J" worked fine and was a godsend on those really cold mornings. Does take a little bit of practice to master. ;)

Patagonia Superfly tights allowed for some discretion. Don't think Patagonia sells them anymore, but there's a great deal on them right now at Sierra Trading Post:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/239,26356_Patagonia-Superfly-Stretch-Capilene-Tights-For-Women.html

The opening worked in conjunction with my bibs, allowing for use of the Lady J while in a climbing harness.

Happily, I have no plans to use the device ever again. :cool::D:rolleyes:

Wow, there seems to be a fair amount of opposition to pee funnels!

I went on a trip a couple of summers ago and was insanely jealous of the other woman who simply had to turn around above treeline to go. I, on the other hand, had to hunt out large rocks or bushes to squat behind. When I got home I immeidately purchased a freshette which is one of the greatest products ever invented.

In the winter I always wear bibs, and will only do so on the condition that the freshette permanently resides in one of the hip pockets. It's the greatest thing ever, and super easy to use (some of the other models look to be more difficult). I can use a pee bottle in the tent too. The thing is just great. If you can't tell- I love it and have convinced several of my friends of the same. For winter, it pretty much doesn't get any better.

I wouldn't say I'm opposed, just haven't found it to be that key to my experience. Perhaps if I knew I was going to be in a situation where it would be that important to have one, I'd give it a try. I've never noticed them in outfitter shops, but might buy one if the price were low enough. Heck, now I want to try one out! :p

It's not so much the privacy as the convenience issue. I still can't just turn around and go with people there.

But, being able to stand and not have to expose your bare butt in the middle of winter is the real bonus in my book. I like to wear bibs, so not having to get them down, and everything overtop off, is a big deal.

I'm enjoying this thread alot.
I use the Freshette, and I am not yet adept at writing my name in the snow, I'm still on the 'A'...:p
I started using this because dropping my pants while in a harness on ice is not recommended. I usually do not use this in the summer,as I hike in a skirt and it is easier just to pull the skirt up, underwear down, and wiz.
It takes practice, though, and I LOVE the adjustable length!!! Try copying THAT boys!!!
Can't comment on the tent stuff. In winter, I sleep inside, with facilities.
Sandy

I just pop a squat. Even in the middle of the night in winter. I pack out a pee-spot just outside the tent door during the day so it is well firmed up by the time I need to use it. If it's really cold I'll press on my bladder to squeeze it out faster.
-vegematic

I haven't read most of this thread but, from the title, I'd say that the best antidote for someone on the go is a mate on the stay.