Hiking Skirts

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to backpack with a woman in college who always wore a skirt - she loved them. Just a plain woolen plaid - nothing official! Sure made answering the call of nature easier for her.

Nothing beats a sarong for hiking/backpacking. You can use it as a skirt, a dress, towel, sleeping pad, blanket, tourniquet, sling, tablecloth, privacy screen, exotic dance costume, you name it...

After getting my head beyond the "they look too sissy for me" mindset, I've been running & hiking in skirts for a little over a year now. I like them for the freedom of movement and, frankly, just to wear something different than shorts. These are my favorite:

http://www.zombierunner.com/store/brands/eric_clifton_jesterwear/product1401.html

They are made by running friend Eric Clifton and sold by "the Zombies," two more running buds (NFI). :) One nice thing about Jesterwear skirts is that they can be custom made -- different lengths, with or without a brief, etc. The fabric patterns are *wild*!! :D He makes tights, too.

Trying to be open-minded, I've looked at the skirt options shown in the links here, but I have spent my life disliking skirts (they're drafty) and don't think I can change now. Oh, how I hated to have to wear skirts for school when I was younger or at work early on in my career. For a fancy occasion, I can almost stand it, but just barely. And shoes, how do other women walk in dress shoes? But that's another link.

Nothing beats a sarong for hiking/backpacking. You can use it as a skirt, a dress, towel, sleeping pad, blanket, tourniquet, sling, tablecloth, privacy screen, exotic dance costume, you name it...

I'm a big fan of skirts and now I think I'm a big fan of sarongs as well.

Ok, where do I begin? Having worn a kilt for the last year I can honestly say I love hiking in it for the freedom of movement with my legs, especially when climbing. I hate pants that bind or grab my legs as I try to lift up my legs to climb. Prior to the kilt I always wore shorts in the winter for the very same reason. However, I find the kilt a lot warmer in the winter than shorts. I would even consider going without the kilt and shorts if it didn’t look like I was in the road company for the Russian Ballet.

Of the two skirts that you linked, in my opinion they seem tad long and might bind your legs when climbing. I bought a utility kilt for Mountain Hardware that allows my legs more movement so you might consider that rather than the longer skirt. Or go with the Sports Kilt that I hike in which I really find far more comfortable. On the down side, my wife is getting a little concerned. As long as I stay away from the Peter Pan collar and knee socks, I should be ok.
:eek:

Ok...you've answered (I think) a question I've had for a while...having seen GUYS in skirts coming off the AT both in the Bigelows and in Gorham, NH. Now, I certainly hope that the guy in the skirt climbs up the rungs/ladders LAST...ewie

I decided to try a skirt a few years ago despite not being a girly girl and found it very comfortable. It makes a nice change from shorts now and then, both for hiking and running.
I have a great one from Athleta which is made with an airy light fabric and has a built-in brief (essential for running - no Fatal Attraction scenes for me :eek:). It also has a little zip pocket for Gu or keys or whatever.
Athleta has a few different styles so check them out -http://www.athleta.com/jump.jsp?itemType=CATEGORY&itemID=482&LeftNavToExpandID=304

I saw a guy in a trail race last year wearing a full on kilt, or 'one-piece non-bifurcated male garment' for those touchy male egos. He said he wears a lightweight one for summer races and a heavier wool one for winter. He had a full on white beard too - not your usual ultrarunner.

not me , not yet?

I just couldn't do it.
But it did cross my mind when I saw them for sale CHEAP (compared to the posted links!) at Marshall's. Great selection and maybe I just might try one.......some day......

Ok...you've answered (I think) a question I've had for a while...having seen GUYS in skirts coming off the AT both in the Bigelows and in Gorham, NH. Now, I certainly hope that the guy in the skirt climbs up the rungs/ladders LAST...ewie
A kilt is not a skirt and, as much as I tease MadRiver and with some Scottish and Irish blood in me, there is nothing wrong with men wearing KILTS. I'm still actually considering it myself.

Pete Fish often hikes in a kilt; I see him sometimes on Baxter. Any of us could only wish to be as "manly" as he is in the hiking realm... :D :p

(Rik, I'm with ya, buddy :D ; but the moderators are watching us, right over our shoulder like the grim reaper :eek: , poised to delete, ban, or worse... ;) )

i've hiked in skirts, or actually 'skorts' for a while now, and really like them.

my favorite is;

http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/pro..._GEAR.WOMENS.SKIRTS&style_color=58611-649&ws=

yes, i know, everyone hates Pattigucci, and yes, they are expensive if you pay retail, but you can always find them on sale. Even after 4 days of backpacking they look good enough to go to dinner in.

the other one I like and use for hiking and biking is;

http://www.terrybicycles.com/product.html?idc=dda3e3c31d&c=Apparel

These have changed since I bout mine, lots more options, and agian, you can always find them on sale. I prefer the commuter because it covers more of my butt and huge thighs... :eek:

The ones you listed look great, but I would think for me pulling them up all the time to get over rocks etc... would be a reall hassle, even if they unzip or have slits on the sides, it is still a pain. Just my opinion.

I like the feel of hiking in the skirt, and the fact that they actually cover more of me than my hiking shorts!

Good luck!

A kilt is not a skirt and, as much as I tease MadRiver and with some Scottish and Irish blood in me, there is nothing wrong with men wearing KILTS. I'm still actually considering it myself.

Nope...not a kilt. I'm pretty sure I know a kilt when I see one (have many a Scott in my background)...these were skirts. Look like some of the ones that have been linked to in this thread.

Mountain Hardware and a few other companies make men's 'hiking skirts', not kilts, but just plain Jane, or um, John skirts for hiking in, and yes, a lot of the thru hikers wear them.

And the girls buy the Men's version because they are longer and have more pockets than the female version.

When will clothing designers ever get it right?! :rolleyes:

Nope...not a kilt. I'm pretty sure I know a kilt when I see one (have many a Scott in my background)...these were skirts.
I've seen a couple of hiking skirts billed as unisex or for men (example). I've also seen some so-called "kilts" that were really skirts--it ain't a kilt without the pleats. (For that matter, arguably it ain't a kilt unless it's regimental, which is why I don't hike in one, tempting tho it be.)

I wear kilts a lot and hike in them frequently. I get mine from Stillwater Kilts and pay about $30 for a synthetic "woolen" one with velcro. I don't think I'd hike in a full blown 8 yard wool kilt, they weigh many pounds. Regimental is only "required" if you are in a regiment; beyond that I'll never tell! I've always had compliments when I meet folks. I like the freedom of movement although bugs can be a problem at times "Careful with that DEET, Eugene!"

I can't speak for the women because I'm not one but I would think the skirts would be plenty comfortable. As to the guys, just go ahead and do it, most folks probably think you're nuts anyway.
Bob