100 highest ADK vs New England

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spaddock said:
Do both. I'm going to work on the 115 and the ADK100 at the same time. Hopefully this will keep me from going "list crazy" with lots of options. Plus I can go to NH and Maine on long weekends and stick to the ADK's on regular weekends.
Hey we've got all kinds of lists for ya:

ADK Fire towers
ADK Quest
Views And Brews! :D

spaddock said:
Do both. I'm going to work on the 115 and the ADK100 at the same time. Hopefully this will keep me from going "list crazy" with lots of options.

-Shayne
50/100
54/115
Hmmm ... so you're working on two large lists simulatanously to keep you from going "list crazy"? Just what would put you over the top? Would you like a referral to "HA"?!

spaddock said:
What's the ADK Quest?
Quoting the web page below:

The purpose of the Adirondack Quest is to encourage ADK members to explore and appreciate the plants, landscape, diversity of wildlife, and the incomparable natural setting of the Wilderness and Wild Forests Areas of the Adirondack Park.

The Adirondack Quest is sponsored by the Genesee Valley Chapter, which provides recognition in the form of the attractive patch shown above and a certificate.

The patch and certificate are given to individuals who make a total of fifty day trips to the Wilderness and Wild Forest Areas, including at least fifteen Wilderness Areas and at least fifteen Wild Forests Areas, with no more than two trips to the same area. There are no criteria for miles hiked, hours that constitute a day, overnight camping, etc. Activities such as hiking, backpacking, canoeing, bird watching, cross-country skiing, and snowshoeing are all acceptable means of spending the day in these areas. Both ADK members and non-members are eligible for the patch. Visits made after June 1, 1993, qualify for the patch.

http://www.adk.org/ad_quest/index.aspx

Kevin Rooney said:
Hmmm ... so you're working on two large lists simulatanously to keep you from going "list crazy"? Just what would put you over the top? Would you like a referral to "HA"?!

I don't think I'm an addict, maybe I am. I haven't been hiking in about 2 months and am itching to climb something. I figure the 115 for rainy forecasts, and the bushwhacks of the ADK100 for when the weather looks decent.

To me the ADK100 would be much harder from a route finding perspective. Having completed the 46 I know I can climb a lot of peaks, just put one foot in front of the other and repeat about 10,000 times. That and a heckuva a lot of driving. The routefinding though, some of those bushwhacks I have to question, wow, will I actually be able to pick my way to the top? Will I get totally lost? The map/compass/GPS work is pretty fun for me too.

What's sad is when I get hooked on a list I don't think about stuff that isn't on a list. Like my mountaineering trip this summer out west, I should be way more stoked about it. Or going on a canoe trip in Northern Ontario. Or not being on my mountain bike in over 2 years. The ADK Quest seems pretty cool, in the fact that you are doing something more than peakbagging. Chilling out watching birds, experiencing the outdoors more than just flying up a trail and flying back down.

HA might be a good idea, but it beats watching TV.

-Shayne

Go for it, Shayne! I've been in and out of treatment myself for years.

I'm least likely to recognize the list addiction when I'm in the middle of one. It hits me about 2 weeks after I've completed that particular goal, and I make all kinds of rash promises not to do something that dumb again. But, as you say, it sure beats watching TV.