Passaconaway via Dicey's Mill Tr.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spaderman

Reaction score
See RickB's trail conditions for Dicey's Mill Tr. He & his group caught us at the intersection of Rollins trial. RickB I'm glad you & your group showed to break trail from Rollins to the top of Passaconaway. Gave us a nice break after the first 3.7 mi.

The day started out at 7:30 AM in the Ferncroft parking lot as the only car. Trip reports showed no trail activity for Whiteface or Passaconaway in the last week. Knowing it had snowed did not bode well but for me, the glass is always half full. Off we go down the lane, thru the field & to the farmhouse not seeing any tracks along the way. The snowfield beyond the barn showed no signs of tracks as well. OK, on went the snowshoes & off I went breaking trail.

Snow was about 4-5" so I took that as a good omen. However, as I matriculated down the trail, that depth was a steady 6" (later to become a foot or more). I told myself that I would give it a go until Tom Wiggin Tr. & take it from there. All the time I'm hiking, I'm looking over my shoulder hoping that someone would come along to help break trail

I was about 1.5 mi. in when I needed to stop to make some adjustments, thinking to myself that if things didn't improve by the time I got to the Wiggin Tr., I'd turn around & head back to the car. All of a sudden, I heard noise on the trial behind me & my prayers had been answered. Up popped 5 "angels"; Jen, Russ, Rick, Bucky & his son, Adam. Here I'm figuring that at best I have another half a mile to go before I have to give up on Passaconaway for the day. Things have suddenly turned into a very promising hike to the top.

So picking myself up, I jump on the back of the "five car train" with renewed spirit pursuing my new best friends.

What is even more interesting is how the five person group met. They did so as three separate groups. Adam had done Whiteface a few weeks back & wanted to have his Dad join him on his Dad's first winter 4K hike. Now I may get the rest wrong, so I apologize up front. Russ & Jen had planned to meet there & Rick came on his own. Whatever the case, here is a group made up of people, who for the most part, had not hiked togehter nor planned to meet.

We were later overtaken by Rick B & two of his companions at the Rollins Tr. intersection. We are are thankful for their assistance as noted above.

For me, the hike took about 4.5 hrs. up to the peak (approx. noon). We left the peak around 12:45 PM & were back at the cars around 3:10 PM. It was peak # 34 for winter.

My thanks to my five angels for turning my day around & a chance to meet five new friends. I hope to see you all again on the trails.

Spaderman,
It was nice to run into you and briefly chat with your loose-knit group. As I indicated in my PM, I fully expected to run into you again, probably at lunch, but we ate at the east outlook and must have returned while you all were on the summit side path. And you likely expected to overtake us old guys within a hundred feet:)
I'm glad we could do our small share breaking the trail. But the real service we provided was taking all the snow down our backs; we looked like snowmen at the summit.
Legendary VFTTer John L was also among our group.
Congrats on #34. Plan to finish this year?

Last edited:
But you could have joined us instead

I don't understand why you would continue on your W48 quest, when you could have joined us to do Owl's Head again? :eek:

Pardon our detour!

Very nice to meet all of you guys though we only spent a short time chatting. Didn't realize that you were fellow VFTTers. Thanks again for the nice job of trail breaking. We would have joined you sooner but we were on Elderly Standard Time yesterday. Didn't get started until 9:30. Congrats on #34. 14 to go.

JohnL

Hey Spades: Too bad you didn't have me along to help slow you down:D; I was busy performing that task for Creaky Knees and Mad Dog on Owlshead!! Glad you could get No. 34 pal, and we'll hope for some good luck on the traverse on 3/7!!

Great meeting everyone.

Things really gelled together well. Steve got the first section started. Rick managed us all into a trailbreaking machine. Adam and Bucky brought an enthusiasm and determination not usually seen in newer hikers. Per usual, I played the Fool, and Jen's cheerful presence kept me from delving into the blue material. With the final trailbreaking done by RickB and crew, Passaconaway was indeed a team effort - and a fine one at that.

The views were a bit hazy, but the company and sense of comraderie were grand. A great way to check off WNH4K #23. Thanks, all!

Spaderman,
It was nice to run into you and briefly chat with your loose-knit group. As I indicated in my PM, I fully expected to run into you again, probably at lunch, but we ate at the east outlook and must have returned while you all were on the summit side path. And you likely expected to overtake us old guys within a hundred feet:)
I'm glad we could do our small share breaking the trail. But the real service we provided was taking all the snow down our backs; we looked like snowmen at the summit.
Legendary VFTTer John L was also among our group.
Congrats on #34. Plan to finish this year?

RickB - I figured you guys for VFTTers but didn't get the chance to chat too long. I'm hoping to pick up 4 more with Creaky Knees & The Great Pumpkin on a Zeeland-Lincoln Woods traverse on 3/7. I'll save the remainder for next year. Got keep the wife happy. See you on the trails.

I don't understand why you would continue on your W48 quest, when you could have joined us to do Owl's Head again? :eek:

Let's see 15 miles of breaking trail with 4 people & a bushwhack at the end or a 9 miler with 8 others helping to break trail? Hummmm!

RickB - I figured you guys for VFTTers but didn't get the chance to chat too long. I'm hoping to pick up 4 more with Creaky Knees & The Great Pumpkin on a Zeeland-Lincoln Woods traverse on 3/7. I'll save the remainder for next year. Got keep the wife happy. See you on the trails.

Finishing up next year and keeping the wife happy sound like nicely balanced goals. Good luck in the Pemi and with the rest of the quest.

Miss one goal and you end up without a patch. Miss the other goal and you end up in the dogpatch. Have fun and good luck.

JohnL

Steve, the look of utter joy and relief on your face as we came upon you was priceless. I'm glad we helped make your day. Rick, thanks for organizing and managing us into the "trail breaking machine" that we were (as Russ so aptly put it). Russ, your walk up comic routine kept me in stitches the entire day. A round of applause goes to Bucky who successfully summited his first 4K ever. Way to go, Bucky!!!! Adam-- a pleasure hiking with you as well.