Zealand Trail Moose Attack Warning

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket21

Reaction score
Just as an FYI, there is a bull moose who has been apparently hanging out on the Zealand Trail for the last two weeks, mainly between the boardwalks and the A-Z junction.

Yesterday, he attacked a person and a dog. Today, he charged at my group (there was another group coming the other way that we didn't see until after), and then later trampled a little girl (she's shaken up, but okay, apparently missed a hoof to the head by inches).

My guess is that, if you see him coming at you, if you step off the trail, he'll keep going on by you. Nonetheless, be very very careful in that area, and perhaps avoid it altogether if you have a dog (the dog that was attacked yesterday was beat up a bit, but escaped major injury just barely).

Just to prove I'm not kidding, here's Eric just barely getting off the trail in time:
zealandmoose.jpg

It's hard to tell by the photo, but that bull was moving at a good clip at that point.

Anyone have any theories about this behavior?? :rolleyes:

I'll give my two cents - I think he a) doesn't want to go out in the unpacked snow and b) freaks out when there are people coming at him in both directions. Both when he charged us today and when he trampled the girl, he had groups coming at him from both sides.

Good theory -- about not wanting to travel out in the unpacked snow. Maybe he's injured/ill? Have you/anyone you know notified Fish/Game/Forest Service??

Seems like an unlikely place to hang out if he wants to avoid people...damn people...they are just *always* hiking down that trail!

Maybe he's injured/ill? Have you/anyone you know notified Fish/Game/Forest Service??

Injured, I don't think so. Ill? Perhaps. He had no problem with us earlier, but was very upset when the folks coming from the hut approached. I haven't notified anyone, but they're all well aware of it up at the hut.

I've never encountered a moose on foot so I'm certainly no expert, but from what Les Stroud has said on many occasions, aggression from a bull isn't that unusual. Or sometimes even a cow.

I have a pretty healthy respect for them either way. Thanks for the warning.

I'll give my two cents - I think he a) doesn't want to go out in the unpacked snow and b) freaks out when there are people coming at him in both directions. Both when he charged us today and when he trampled the girl, he had groups coming at him from both sides.

Yup. When the snow gets deep, they can get very proprietary about travel routes and hang-outs. And as you have rightly noted, they're very fast when they want to be. They are capable of slicing, dicing, and stomping in ways unimaginable to the unaware. Good on ya for the thread.

Hmmm. I going to Bretton Woods today. Maybe I'll go look for him this morning. Thanks for the tip! Only seen one moose for the past month or so.

happy trails :)

As previously noted, "it looks like a very big doberman". It also looks like a small young moose. The young ones aren't known to be grumpy and attack, but if attacked by a dog, or people from both directions, I would assume that it would either fight back at the dog or run away from the people, over them if necessary. A full grown bull moose reminds me more of a locomotive. They do get grumpy. I read an article from Alaska about female moose that have babies. "Think main battle tank". The article also noted that two women had hit a baby moose with their car. The mother moose came and stomped on their car. Both women died when the car roof was crushed in.

Just as an FYI, there is a bull moose who has been apparently hanging out on the Zealand Trail for the last two weeks, mainly between the boardwalks and the A-Z junction.

Yesterday, he attacked a person and a dog. Today, he charged at my group (there was another group coming the other way that we didn't see until after), and then later trampled a little girl (she's shaken up, but okay, apparently missed a hoof to the head by inches).

Holy crap, that is so scary. This is my number one fear when I'm out hiking with Alex. I know wildlife is almost never a problem around here when it comes to attacking people, but it still bothers me.

So.....if you see a moose that is aggressive, step off the path and behind a tree? Alex and I both know that if you find yourself being trampled, curl up in a ball with hands over your head and stay still.

Seriously, this is my number one fear out there, in any season. I always thought I was just being silly.

Is the little girl okay, seriously? I'm amazed she lived.

Jeremy . . . I just want to add my thanks to you for this “heads-up” report.

It certainly sounds like some agency (Fish & Game, etc) needs to get involved.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I going to Bretton Woods today. Maybe I'll go look for him this morning. Thanks for the tip! Only seen one moose for the past month or so.

happy trails :)

I would steer clear of this moose, who is evidently stressed, and give him as much space as possible. Let Fish & Game decide what, if anything, to do. AMC has certainly alerted them. Or these posts have.

Best wishes to that little girl. She'll have a story to tell her grandchildren ... a story that could perhaps only be embellished more by the conclusion of having moose venison for dinner.

No it doesn't.....

The Moose doesn't look anything like a Doberman, trust me..........

Two friends also had an encounter with a Moose on the Zealand trail a couple of weeks ago, probably the same guy. One of them did some quick research when back from the hike

Co-Existing with Moose. Moose Can Be Aggressive.
Moose have evolved defenses to keep them from being easy prey. Unfortunately for humans, Moose sometimes preceive us as threats. When a Moose feels threatened it has only two choices, either flee or attack. Normally it will flee, and we can feel glad or apologetic, but when a Moose decides to be aggressive, we can find ourselves in a dangerous situation.

Moose can become aggressive in Winter when they are hungry, tired of walking in deep snow, and being harrassed by dogs and people. During mating season bull Moose may be aggressive towards other bulls or humans.

Avoid Confrontations. First and most important to avoiding confrontations is to give Moose plenty of room. Do not approach them. Moose, like other animals have a distance around them, that if entered by another animal - wolf, dog, bear, or human - causes them to react. Biologists call this area "personal space" or "critical distance". Cows and Calves need extra room. Moose calves, because of their size and lack of experience, are particularly susceptible to predation. Thus cow Moose have evolved some very strong defensive behaviors. If one preceives a threat to it's calf, it may attack. A cow Moose can defend itself against a full grown grizzly (or car). If you see a calf but not a cow, be very careful, you may have gotten between them, and you will want to remove yourself without drawing their attention.

Calves themselves can also be dangerous. Weighing 200 to 400 pounds by their first winter, they are fully equipped to injure a predator - or a human. Dogs and Moose don't mix. Moose are likely to treat dogs as they do (coyotes or )wolves. If Lassie barks and moves toward a Moose, the moose is likely to defend itself by lunging, kicking, and chasing the dog. A frightened dog, not having been a wolf for thousands of years, (may) run back to it's master for protection, and you may find yourself between your pet and 1000 pounds of irate moose that seems capable of kicking in four directions at once. Because moose consider dogs to be their enemies, they may go out of their way to kick at them, no matter if the dog is on a leash or in a fenced yard. If you have a dog with you, give moose extra room.

Moose Body Language. Moose use body language as a method of communication. Understanding this language will help keep both you and the Moose out of harms way. The first thing you might notice is that a moose has stopped feeding, walking, or resting, and is looking at you. Its ears will be up and it will be listening as well as looking clues as to what you are, and what you may be up to. You can stay where you are, or increase the distance between you and the moose. The moose can move towards you, stay put, or move away. What you do influences what the moose does. You should be thinking; Does the moose have room? Does it have a safe escape route? Could it consider me a threat? Terrified moose have run through and over all manner of things. If the moose puts down its head, lowers its ears, and the hair on its back and neck go up, it's time to start worrying and looking for your own escape route. The moose may begin to lick its lips and walk towards you. The moose is telling you very clearly in moose language that either you have gotten too close and are a threat. Back off and look for something to get behind.

If a Moose charges... Fortunately most moose charges are bluffs, warning for you to get back. They should nevertheless be taken seriously. If a moose chases you, get behind something solid. You can run around a tree faster than a moose can. If a moose knocks you down, it may continue running or start stomping and kicking with all four feet. Curl up in a ball, protect your head with your arms, and lie still. Don't try to move until the moose moves a safe distance away or it may renew its attack.

I hope I never see "the hair on it's back and neck go up". I feel fortunate to have encountered quite a few Moose over the years, and they usually scamper away too quickly. The Zealand trail appears to be a great location for Moose to hang out. Hopefully no one gets hurt with encounters with this fellow, before he decides that it's time to move out of the area, which doesn't appear to be anytime soon. More snow on the way today.