Old News? – Updated Index for WMG (28th edition)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
This might be “old news”. But for anyone who’s unaware (and is interested), the AMC website has a free download for an updated index for the White Mountain Guide, 28th edition. This updated index is more like the index in prior editions of the Guide, i.e. it has bolded page numbers associated with the pages that contain the actual trail descriptions. Any other references to trail names are not bolded. This online PDF version of the index is formatted in the same size as the original book, so you could print it, then trim it with scissors and insert it in the back of your guide book if you wanted to do so.

Here’s the link:

http://www.outdoors.org/publications/books/updates/index.cfm

Well, that is good news. I could not for the life of me figure out why they abandoned the bolding for this edition. Checking every listed page until you found the page on which the actual trail description began was an unecessary inconvenience. By now, of course, I have a version of the Guide which is "annotated" by my underlining the correct page reference.

I could not believe this either when I got my new book last year. This was so annoying, I simply went back to my old (1992) edition instead. I may have actually given my new one away as it is useless without the bolds ... oh well. Looks like I will be using little gray for another decade...

New news to me! Thanks for the link. Too bad it isn't suitable for double-sided printing...I'll try to puzzle that out.

That's great news! As soon as the 28th edition came out, I mentioned to Steve Smith that the index needed work and he agreed whole-heartedly. Good to see that they've updated it. It needed that bolding bad!

I also found the non-bold annoying, I suspect it's something that changed late in the production process that the editors didn't discover until too late. I'm glad they posted the changes and hope that hard-copy errata comes with books they haven't shipped yet.