Sawteeth on the sightseeing bus

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc McPeak

Reaction score
saratoga springs Avatar: Spring has sprung ... ju
I started thinking of Sawteeth via the Scenic trail since I had never been up or down that trail, then got to looking over the maps and decided to do a bunch of the little loops that I had always bypassed amidst my manly peakbagging excursions.

This is a spectacular way to do Sawteeth. And I never set foot on the Lake Road... which made it that much cooler.

The whole journey spills out in order on webshots, and I've done the text in the caption spaces, so to avoid redundancy you can take a scenic tour of the AMR en route to Sawteeth here:

PART 1:
http://community.webshots.com/album/157441758AdDsVz

PART 2:
http://community.webshots.com/album/157541732WiKYsU

EDIT: These two links now work...

NOTE: Steppinwolf, as others responded, the Scenic trail is the steeper way, and I chose to ascend it rather than descend. In a report on the conditions page someone lamented his chose in using it for a descent, and I agree it was better climbed on fresh legs, than exited at the end of the day. That's how I would do it. It should not be missed though, for it is an amazing route.

Last edited:
Thanks, Doc. When we hike Sawteeth, that's the way we're going to do it, with the ascent up the steep part and then looping back the other way. If the weather's not clear, we'll probably do Street and Nye instead and save Sawteeth for another day when we can appreciate the great views. BTW, I couldn't get your links to work. Kept getting an error page.

That's weird, they both just worked for me again. Send me your e-mail address and I can try sending you a webshots invite.

You'll see the scenic route I took (there's a shot of the map with the route highlighted) which turned this into an all day affair, but took in all the sights usually overlooked in the AMR and made for my favorite trip ever in that section of the HPs.

Now I know how to link them...

I got your e-mail, steppinwolf. I'm glad you had a great hike. What a treat that route is. To see all those great looks to the south for the ascent, then to have the whole Great Range open up when you hit the summit makes it one of my favorite hikes.

As for Pyramid. The best way to do it for impact -- is Pyramid first, then Gothics. Especially if you're showing someone their first look at the Adirondacks. My favorite view in the High Peaks. It was amazing this past winter.