Best "no bug" season in the Dacks?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

GU Man

From most of the trip reports I've read since mid-May, it seems that this may have been one of the best seasons for hiking in the Adirondacks with no or minimal bugs that I can recall. Does anyone else share this view?

Definately Best I have experienced in 3 years of hiking there. There were very few to no bugs in Colden. I talked to a ranger there, and he said they only had 2 or 3 days of black flies so far. Sure makes summer hiking awesome!

-percious

Some DEC folks told me that it was because of the unusually high waters in May. Apparently, it has an adverse effect on the reproductive cycle. They did a count on the larvae and found it to be very low as a result of the water situation.

Of course, the down side is that only the "super bugs" made it, which means we'll have to deal with the genetically superior children next season.

I feel an ABC mini-series coming on.....

Winter, definatly. But seriously, this has been a very mild bug season. Could be due to the cooler temps.

peak_bgr said:
Winter, definatly. But seriously, this has been a very mild bug season. Could be due to the cooler temps.

cool temps during the day and COOLER temps at night.....also the high water....but the high water brings out the mosquito's in force.....those are the ones that have been the worst.....

bugs?

last summer i hit a lot of the nasty black flies but this yr minimal to zero. even misquitos not bad. is it bec we've had so many colder evenings? do black flies have a "season"? in other words, if we make thru to july without any major hatchings is their chance at a human bloodfest over?

I defiantly think that some of the cold nights we’ve had has had a large effect on the black fly population. On the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend there was a hatch along Cedar River. The flies were about average for that time of year. That night it got cold and we awoke to frost on the ground. For the remainder of the weekend we saw barely a single biting insect.