MSR Denali Ascent "televator" failure

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingmaineac

Reaction score
***I've been meaning to take pictures of the issue, but haven't had a chance yet - so I'll just describe it for now and update w/photos later if necessary***

I was using my MSR Denali Ascent snowshoes on the Brook Trail on Tumbledown, Mountain in Weld, ME this past weekend. We got to what is probably the steepest part of the trail - no more than .2 from the pond - and I decided to use the heel-lift/televator feature to aid in my climb. Instead of climbing straight up the snow drift-covered icy "mini ravine", I thought it would be best to use the rocks and trees to the right of the drifts as steps and handholds.

To get to the point... As I climbed up onto one of the rocks, I heard something strange, but thought it was just the teeth of the snowshoes biting into rock and ice. A minute later, I looked down and I noticed I wasn't walking on the televator any longer under my right foot, but due to the powder couldn't see the deck of my snowshoe and thought it had just returned to the position when it's not in use. About the same time my friend said "Hey, did you lose one of those "elevator thingys"?

In fact, I had.

Somehow instead of being an upside down, [____] shape with 90 degree angles, the angles are now more akin to /____/.

I have tried to bend them back unsuccessfully... The metal is just too resilient.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

Thanks!

Time to get on the threadmill and lose a few pounds eh! Just kidding. I shouldn't be the one talking ;-)

I've found that if you document it well (pictures are always a winner) and contact MSR, they're very helpful and will often replace snowshoes and what not if the problem is really unusual. I had them replace my lightnings once and they didn't complain at all.

Also, if you do contact them, don't include the pictures in the email. Rather, upload somewhere (picasa, webshots, whatever) and give them the link and tell them to download a copy for their tracking system.

Best of luck!

Fish

I just received 2 brand new replacement televators after sending my bent one and the un-bent one 3 weeks or so ago - all completely free of charge! Thank you MSR (now known as Cascade Designs)!!!

Also, if you do contact them, don't include the pictures in the email. Rather, upload somewhere (picasa, webshots, whatever) and give them the link and tell them to download a copy for their tracking system.

Fish

Why is this better? , pray tell ..