I can have my cake (or steak) and eat it too! Cannon 2-22-09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Bear

Reaction score
Brookline, NH Avatar:Ice Cave on Cascade Brook
So who thought I was really “just joking about bringing steak”! Isn’t that one of my ten essentials? Well, I had figured out back when I made the open call for celebrating my 48th birthday and my official finish of the NH48 4000 footers that I could fit my fairly large portable grill in my 85 liter backpack so: Why not? Actually even on the day of the hike I had an alternate pack that was more realistic for hiking in stormy weather. I even did a kind of practice run the Sunday before packing the same weight and heading to some northern presis. During the recovery week I had tight cramping in my legs as late as Thursday but they subsided by Saturday.

My one guaranteed hiking partner was my wonderful daughter Kimberly who had outrun me hiking Kinsman’s in May. Many had responded positively to the “You bring cake, I’ll bring steak” open call, but as the weather changes so does the safety of the drive to and from the mountains. Believe me, I know, having walked away from a very bad crash on the first day of winter. I started to second guess my opinion of not postponing and just hiking the environment I received. Had anyone been hurt I would have felt guilty.

We spent the night before the hike at my parents in the lakes region and I could see that the storm was moving slow. This was Kim’s first winter hike so some of the gear was borrowed and some things like the boots she had never tried. We finished gearing up at McDonald’s in Lincoln and arrived at the trailhead 15-20 minutes late. Sorry folks, my first open call, please forgive me. Dennis “Peakbagger”, BobC, and Brian “New Hampshire” were ready to hike and before long we were on the way! I had grabbed the less practical pack, which was just a bit heavy so I figured on being the anchor but they actually expected me to break trail for them too! Luckily the trail had been used a lot and we also met many folks coming down from the hut.

By the time we hit some steep areas poor Kim was finding out how early on in life cigarettes will affect your breathing and stamina. Combined with not being used to breathing cool air put her at a disadvantage so we adjusted our pace. She now has more incentive to succeed with that New Years resolution. Good Luck Kim we’re rooting for you! We made it to the hut in pretty good time and took a short break for some great brownies Dennis brought along. He cooks and is still single, what gives here? At the hut we had caught up to Greg “RoadTripper and his friend Matt. They left ahead of us and planned to try just to the junction and see how Greg’s leg was doing. He recently had a stress fracture. Dennis left ahead of us and leaving the hut we picked up Jeff “Spruce” from the Mt Washington forum. I had met Jeff back in September on Madison and was very glad to have him along. Hopefully he will soon be a member of these forums as well.

As I was leaving the hut I got a teaser view of the midsection of Franconia Ridge. I had brought my quarters for the viewer at the top just in case! We climbed the remaining portion of the Lonesome Lake trail and Kim started to have problems with the boots her her shins but was still smiling and staying positive. During this time we started to get phone calls and calls on the two-way radios. This was a difficult place to get reception and a good line of sight for the radios. It was only about 11:30 as we got to Kinsman Ridge trail but people were already gathered at the summit anxious for us to get there. Jen “Nif” even called to see if I was alright and make sure I wasn’t alone, Thanks!

The snow on the top of the ridge had cloaked the trees thoroughly but the trail was solidly packed and there was not a lot coming down. The steep ledges were not too icy and we were soon on top where we met Drewski on a reconnaissance run. At the tower Laura and her husband went up with Kim and I and took pictures. Whoo Hoo! Number 48, just needed to descend without the sled. Had a nice note from MEB on the tower so I knew I would be in great company when I got in the summit restaurant. Once in there it was amazing to see how may had braved the storm and come up to celebrate. Thank You! And that is hardly enough to tell you how much that meant. I walked in clapping, not for myself, for all of you coming to grace my day! Wow!

I took off my pack and pulled out a grill stuffed with steaks, chicken tenders and pork loins. The best way to lighten this load was going to be sure some people had some to eat. I tried to split my time between the grillin and seeing people off that needed to depart to beat the storm. If I missed you I am truly sorry! There were many wonderful people and some had come from quite a distance to be there. You are all so terrific. Had it not been for the storm we may have displaced all of the skiers! They had enough trouble coming off the tram and going by a rather good smelling cookout, too cruel! My family had come and my dad had put his aversion to heights aside and road up on the tram. The last time my parents and brother and I had been there together was when I was about fourteen.

My wonderful wife Beverly had spent hours making a montage of hiking pictures for me that was accompanied by a nice marble cake! Darlene had even made it sporting a brand new cast and honored me with a 4000 footer patch! It was so special to see everyone and meet new folks. I even met “Jimmy Legs” from Maryland who is on the Mt Washington forum. He and his wife had heard about the celebration and came up during their vacation!

The trip down was fun and quick! Obviously skipped the sled so we don’t have to do this every year but still had some fun once down on the glades ski trail. Not as much snow on it this time down and really amazing to see some of the lines the skiers take. In one place a big hardwood had fallen and could really wreck someone’s day! We arrived at the bottom in about an hour and fifteen minutes. I was already regretting having to drive home.

This journey has been a path that I knew was meant to be graced with beautiful and serene mountains. Never could I have imagined how many beautiful people I would meet and befriend. Many outside the community of hikers may only envision a group of tree-huggers. Little do they know that it is truly a family of fun-loving and sincere folks that embrace the world and respectfully nurture all that is fragile. They greatly appreciate the sanctity of the woods and the other life there that we share it with. Little could many imagine that a moment admiring a spider web along a trail could be as precious as looking out over a great vista.

I had nulled Cannon for a special reason by swiss-bobbing it last year so that I may enjoy my finish with family and friends that could not hike. I also was determined to do it on a special day, my 48th birthday to commemorate all the peaks. My “unofficial” (if Cannon had counted) finish was equally thought out and was on the Fourth of July, a terrific celebration of our freedoms and a beautiful hike in to Isolation. The hikes were deeply in contrast to each other. Isolation was, remote, quiet, long, alone, in the heat of a summer night. While Cannon was a short jaunt, accompanied by road noise, stopping to use a hut, during a winter storm, hiking with my family and friends to an over commercialized summit where a terrific social event and welcoming party could take place. I truly can have my cake (or steak) and eat it too! Thanks all! Whoo Hoo!:D

Slideshow:http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/570264356bQVHFh

Last edited:
Big time Congratulations Dave!

A very nice report!! I especially enjoyed the slideshow. Now THAT is the way to finish!

This is a long way off....but it makes me rethink which peak I want to finish my W48 on.....

Last edited:
Dave,

It was great to hike with you, and even better to get a chance to meet your family. Truly a special day. It wouldn't have been the same without a gourmet meal cooked up during the hike! Thanks for the steak - I usually save my "big meal" for after the hike but not this time. Delicious!

Here are some more pics.

Last edited:
Great joining you and the rest of the folks to celebrate your accomplishment. Plus I had a blast sliding down the KRT, who said a sled is needed to obtain high velocities. Of course when I got home I found my swissbob.

Thanks for the ride back up the notch.

Congratulations! Very nice accomplishment. I enjoyed your report, and judging by the pictures, it looks like you had a blast celebrating. Way to go!

DaveBear's arrival at the Cannon tram lodge in glorious video: CLICK

[size=-2](mp4 format: QuickTime, RealPlayer, or VLC required)[/size]

Excellent Mike! Thank you, that's good for a few laughs! If anyone has some pics of the hiking crowd please feel free to post them. I neglected to get a bunch when I first got there. Thanks everyone for all the nice comments its been an awesome journey and its only the first lap!;)

Congrats Dave!

This journey has been a path that I knew was meant to be graced with beautiful and serene mountains. Never could I have imagined how many beautiful people I would meet and befriend. Many outside the community of hikers may only envision a group of tree-huggers. Little do they know that it is truly a family of fun-loving and sincere folks that embrace the world and respectfully nurture all that is fragile. They greatly appreciate the sanctity of the woods and the other life there that we share it with. Little could many imagine that a moment admiring a spider web along a trail could be as precious as looking out over a great vista.

This paragraph is as beautiful as the mountains themselves. We're very happy for you! Congratulations! What do you have in mind for your 50th? :D

KDT

A nice TR, and great tie-in of the human element. Nice job!

Congrats on your winter 48 and on your birthday to boot!
Happy Birthday:)
kmac