Drive time to Cabot from Highland Center?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocksnrolls

Reaction score
Phillipston, MA - Avatar: bushwacking off the top
With the forcast calling for less snow the further north you go on Sunday, I'm thinking of heading up to Cabot. I'm staying overnight at Shapleigh (after hiking Moriah on Saturday) and would like to get back in time for the Sunday meal. I've only been to Cabot once before, climbing from the Fish Hatchery side in a warm month, so don't know how much time to plan for the drive up there. If people could offer up estimates to both the Hatchery and to the Mt Cabot Tr trailhead, it would be very helpful. Thanks!

Hmmm...I'm thinking it's about 40 minutes between Crawford Notch and Gorham, and then about another 40 from Gorham to the Fish Hatchery (which includes getting lost trying to follow the "highway" through Berlin). I tend to be obnoxious and do the speed limit so you might make better time than I do, or worse, if you're more obnoxious.
-vegematic

What Veg said. Also, remember to take the right just before the Dunkin Donuts on the return trip since it is a one way.

If you use the Mt. Cabot Trail side, it shouldn't be as long of a drive. It's maybe 10 minutes from Jefferson?

Realistically, unless you want to respect AMC and USFS requests to avoid the closed Mt Cabot trail, its a lot quicker from Shapleigh to the former Mt Cabot trailhead that it is to go via the fish hatchery. It will easilly add 30 to 40 minutes even if you know the shortcut in Berlin (which on a weekend doesnt really save that much time).

Realistically, unless you want to respect AMC and USFS requests to avoid the closed Mt Cabot trail, its a lot quicker from Shapleigh to the former Mt Cabot trailhead that it is to go via the fish hatchery. It will easilly add 30 to 40 minutes even if you know the shortcut in Berlin (which on a weekend doesnt really save that much time).

And why would anyone want to do that:(