Info request: Colden and/or Dix slides.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
I'm planning a slide climb this Friday and we're thinking of either Dix (north side) or Colden (east side). Does anybody have any info or caveats regarding these slides?
Thanks.

Colden Slide

By all means do the slide on the East Side of Colden. It's one of my favorites and is real easy to get to. As you come down from Lake Arnold it practically spills out onto the trail. You can see it from the trail. It gets real steep the last little bit and there is just a short herd path to the top. It is an outstanding slide climb. I've done it up and down (combined with a hike up the Trap Dike).

The north slide on Dix is also a nice climb, but there is more of a bushwhack at the top to get to the summit.

when you do these slide hikes, are you using ropes, or is it just a nice steep hike?

Beverly is right on both accounts. Just let me add to the northface slides on Dix,ouch.......... meaning the thicket at the top to the summit. However if you want a nice slide on Dix, try the slide from Hunters Pass.

Just got back from doing the east Colden Slide. Man, was that ever fun! Viewed from below, the top sections seemed way too steep. However, I told myself that that must be due to foreshortening and besides, people on this forum said it could be done. And sure enough, it was a peach.
Thanks folks.