Trail maintenance

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giff

Reaction score
Last fall I started a thread asking if people were interested in
volunteering to do trail work. The thread generated a lot of noise and some
real interest. I closed out the thread by saying that I would get back to
people in the spring. I know there is much snow on the trails at this point. However, within a couple of months we should be able to start trail work. A few clarifications.

1. Work can be done under the umbrella of the Forest Service. If a
volunteer agreement is signed you are covered should you be injured on the
"job"
2. Training will be available for volunteers who would like it. There are
5 Saturdays in May and June when it will take place.
3. The Forest Service is willing to loan people tools (loppers, fire
rakes, bow saws)

What I am really looking for is people or a group of people who would be
willing to "adopt" a trail. This involves Level I maintenance: cleaning
water bars, clearing blow downs that can be dealt with without the use of
chainsaws and brushing out the trails. The Forest Service would also ask
that you provide them with work reports in order for them to learn what
additional work needs to be done by the professional trail crew on each of
your trails.

One more thing. Many of the trails in the Whites are maintained by organizations that partner with the Forest Service such as the AMC, RMC, WODC, SLA and WVAIA etc. Who has control over a particular trail can be found in the White Mountain Guide. Should you want to adopt a trail maintained by one of these organizations you will have to go through them. Sorry it's so complicated but that is the way it is.

If anyone is interested in doing this please contact me at
[email protected]. I have a list of trails that need adopting that I
can share with you at that time. I already have names and emails of some
interested folks from last fall. I will be sending each of you a list of
trails needing adoption.

Thanks for starting this back up Giff, it is a great idea. As you know, the AMC has an "Adopt-a-Trail" program as well for folks who want to adopt. Like the FS, they provide the training and tools.

http://www.outdoors.org/conservation/trails/volunteer/adopt/adopt-orphan-trails.cfm

I would also like to suggest that if a hiker wished to perform some trail maintenance as a form of giving back to the trails for all the enjoyment and recreation they provide, without the committment of adopting a trail themselves, they only need to team up with Giff or one of the many trail adopters that post on this site for a day of trailwork. I know I would be happy to have a group of VFTT folks out of one of my remote stretches of the Davis Path for a day! I'm sure other adopters who need a hand would be very happy to have another worker along, too. I believe the only 'paperwork' that needs to be completed is to have your name listed on the current adopter's official work report.

I'd be very interested in helping out. I do some maintenance automatically (moving fallen branches, kicking debris out of a clogged drainage, etc.) when hiking, but it would be fun to do it on purpose and with others.

Brian and I would LOVE to be involved in trail maintenance but don't want to adopt a particular trail at this time, maybe in the future. We are however really excited to lend a hand to an existing adopter or organization. Right now the first 2 weekends and the last weekend in May are available and the first 2 weekends in June are available. Please let me know where and when we can be of help. Thanks.

sli74

Just want to add that we are only interested in any free volunteer opportunities. Any trail work where we have to shell out money to help is not something we can do . . . just wanted to clear that up since the AMC link has a LOT of volunteer programs but almost all of them require you to give them money, which seems crazy to me. Anyway, hope we can be of some help.

sli74

You should contact the RMC. They would love someone of your dedication and experience to help out.

The WODC will be holding a couple of public work days in May/June. It's an excellent opportunity for anyone who doesn't want to make a long-term commitment. (or even for those who do!)

The schedule should be posted in April.

www.wodc.org