Carter Dome via Nineteen Mile Brook, Carter-Moriah, and Carter Dome Trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

March 1, 2009

The Nineteen Mile Brook Trail was hard packed snow, but had many postholes from the warmer days earlier in the week. Microspikes worked well, but we saw others barebooting and they seemed to be doing fine. The Carter-Moriah was a little softer, but still broken out. The first section (real steep) had steps kicked in and we were still able to get away with only wearing the Microspikes. Once we got to the top of the steep section, we switched to snowshoes. This part of the trail was broken out, but a little narrower than I prefer. After my 10 inch wide snowshoes came through, it was a little wider. At the summit, we had to dig out a couple of trail signs to get our bearings because the snow was so deep (a benefit of the deep snow was that we could easily see over the trees that impair views in the summer). The descent down the C-M Trail had barely been broken and I found it tough going, but it was easy compared to the upper section of the Carter Dome Trail. The snow was so deep, many of the branches were at chest level. A few blow downs required some crawling to get under. Once we got to Zeta Pass, the trail was in better shape and the pace picked up. The lower section of the CD Trail was well broken and easy to follow.

Microspikes - useful. Snowshoes - essential.

Robert Murphy

[email protected]