Rainy Weekend - Mar 6-8

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Kittredge

Reaction score
Just checked the forecast for Twin Mountain. Highs about 38 for the next three days, with rain on Friday and Sunday. Nasty! I'd trade it for 10 degrees and windy in a second.

Sounds like a good weekend to work on taxes.:rolleyes:

Hmmmmm. I might be forced into housework. Was hoping to put that off for another month. :p

I'm hoping to get out and do a little local something on Saturday. I'm leaning toward Rumford Whitecap.
-vegematic

We are going to be stubborn and still go on our previously scheduled trip starting Saturday morning. Hope the rain ends by then and keeping my fingers crossed that we will beat the worst of it down on Sunday? Here's to hoping.

sli74

I'll tell ya, Saturday looks like a good day as far as I'm concerned. I'll be out doin' my thing and lookin' forward to it. Sunday... hey, there's always a hair drier if it gets too wet!

-Dr. Wu

58 and sunny and eastern MA sat - thats where I will be.... :D

bring on the rain up north, consolidate snowpack - its spring time ravine climbing/sking time ... winter sucks anyway.....

partly cloudy, 10% chance of rain and 47 degrees in the ADKs.

sounds fine to me.

time to climb up that big rock face on the north side of gothics.

woot.

I checked the NWS for Twin Mountain, Lincoln, Bartlett, Bretton Woods, Franconia, and Gorham. Every place shows mostly sunny on Saturday with a mild temperature.

The NWS Winds Aloft forecast indicates there will be a pretty good breeze from the northwest above 3000 feet.

The last time I checked...

7:00am = 49mph
1:00pm = 40mph
7:00pm = 28mph

Looks like another Owl's Head day???

:)

Last edited:
Forecast for Saturday in Franconia area is sunny and 40 F, so I will dh ski Cannon for the first time this season and let that back-country snowpack solidify before I tackle any more NHHH peaks.

We are skiing in Maine. Hopefully sunday we will be able to get comps as we bought a package some time ago with a big group.

Let the snow consolidate for the 14th~ :) when I'll be hiking!

Looks like another Owl's Head day???

Yay for Owl's Head!! :D

Okay, so I don't think I'll be venturing out there this weekend (do hope to climb it sometime in March, though), but I'll definitely be somewhere in the mountains...

Just started to snow here in Tamworth - some of the largest snowflakes I've ever seen (some like an inch in diameter) - pretty neat to see! I suspect it'll be changing over to immature snow in awhile.

It's my fault. I should have taken off the snow tires, which would have guaranteed a big-dumping nor'easter!

In praise of multicultural diversity in precipitation types

What to my wondering eyes should appear this morning but some of the largest examples of graupel that I have seen recently:

IMG_0403.jpg

Graupel always makes me smile, as it reminds me of past times in the mountains. It often signals some serious weathermaking in progress, the sort of allegedly adverse stuff that I enjoy.

p.s. We had sleet before the graupel this morning as well.

Last edited:
Forecast has improved for Bethel. Only a 40% chance of wintry mix today. It looks like most of the action will be in eastern Maine. I guess the system changed course overnight. Tomorrow is calling for 45F and sun in my area with lighter winds.
-vegematic