Reading wing prints

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickB.

Reaction score
Our naturalists will probably get this one quickly, but here goes:

What made the wing prints (summit of Mt. Roberts) and what was it doing?

3342443374_a9b367b60e.jpg

To fully disclose, I had it wrong but was relieved of my ignorance by a UNH expert (assuming he was right:))

Mouse is wrong, but it doesn't sound so far off to me. :D

Grouse will burrow into the snow to weather a storm. I've seen their burrows (and the contents left behind) but I've never seen wing marks near them. I'd guess the marks are from the bird's exit.
-vegematic

Grouse will burrow into the snow to weather a storm. I've seen their burrows (and the contents left behind) but I've never seen wing marks near them. I'd guess the marks are from the bird's exit.
-vegematic

Is that one single foot print on the lip of the hole? Makes me wonder if a bird would have exited turned nearly 270 degrees and then took off. Without footprints or blood or other remains of a kill / attack, I'd think something flew in and missed at whatever went into that hole - looks like maybe it tunneled up and to the left... ?

I'm not an expert, not even close, but I am curious.

Tim

Grouse is correct. According to the naturalist those are the entry prints. Hard to envision. There was another similar print fifty feet away where that or another grouse also spent the night.
Bottom of hole had serious scat so the bird was there for a while.

Burrowed?

Do they actually burrow? Seems they roost there and are covered by the falling snow, then, when they're ready, they stand up, shake off and take off, leaving a burrow like hole.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, it's been known to happen. :D

KDT

Do they actually burrow? Seems they roost there and are covered by the falling snow, then, when they're ready, they stand up, shake off and take off, leaving a burrow like hole.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, it's been known to happen. :D

KDT

From Hinterland Who's Who:

The Ruffed Grouse is specially adapted to handle winter weather. Where the snow is deep, soft, and persistent, grouse travel over it with the help of their “snowshoes”—lateral extensions of the scales of the toes. They also burrow into the snow, which keeps them warm and protects them from predators.

Every now and then I have to call the dog off an interesting spot, i.e., over the dug-in grouse. The birds will actually dive into the snow like a cruise missile sometimes to rest for the night in shelter. It's pretty exciting if the bird is still in the burrow when we're there and it decides to leave . . .

p.s. I'm actually inclined to think the photo shows evidence of the departure, not the arrival.

Every now and then I have to call the dog off an interesting spot, i.e., over the dug-in grouse. The birds will actually dive into the snow like a cruise missile sometimes to rest for the night in shelter. It's pretty exciting if the bird is still in the burrow when we're there and it decides to leave . . .

p.s. I'm actually inclined to think the photo shows evidence of the departure, not the arrival.

A few years ago, I had one explode from between my snowshoes and I still haven't fully recovered, nor have my pants.

As I think back on the tracks leading to the photo site, I agree that the hole is the exit. I wish I had known it to be a grouse then, rather than thinking bird of prey, because there were places where the grouse had been walking and using its wings for stability, very interesting and, in context, good photo ops.

I would agree with the Grouse guesses. I have seen them in the catskills completely buried and without any tracks leading to hole. They have the ability to hole up under fresh snowfall and when they detect your prescence, to come flying bat out of hell, out of said hole to fly away. Leaving nothing but perhaps some wind prints. The one time I witnessed this it didn't leave wind prints but a nicely shaped hole from where it came from. Pretty cool!

Jay

That's pretty cool! I'd like to see that sometime...

You too can see things like this! Just follow my patented six step program:

1) Be in the woods often.
2) Be in the woods even more often.
3) Avoid hiking trails.
4) Wander around flat areas with no sweeping vistas.
5) Meander without set destinations or goals.
6) Look at things

I suppose I can't guarantee that you'll see a grouse burrow, but I do bet you'll find something interesting!