N. & S. Twin...The Obsession Continues

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Periwinkle

Reaction score
After a week's vacation in the 'daks with only one day hiking (Crane, a great recommendation from Peakbagr!), I was back home and itchin' with obsession. And rethinking all future vacation plans with so little trail time....

So, it was back to the peaks. I figured I'd kick my own butt back into the program by trying my longest solo day trip so far. Just to add to the fun, I got a late start. What else is new?

The trail was a piece of cake to the first stream crossing, where I nearly launched myself backwards into the Little River when I leapt forward at a bad angle. Way to start the trip. The next two crossing were fairly uneventful. From there on in, it was in the zone and crankin' at near my personal top speed. The four descending solo gentlemen all stepped aside to let me pass. Chivalry is not dead! I returned the favor to the couple descending the steep section. Even with two long breaks for lunch and then pictures at the NE overlook, I made N. Twin in book time. So far, so good.

The clouds were high and the weather was holding, so I decided to continue to S. Twin, making excellent time. I squandered that lead by bundling up against the wind and hanging out at the summit of S. Twin. It was a surprisingly great view and needed sufficient appreciation!

I wasn't worried about timing until I started descending the .5 miles of steep section off N. Twin. The footing was just a little rocky, but it seemed as if evil trail gnomes had smeared Crisco on every rock. I didn't remember it being so slick or loose on the way up, but then again, I was just cruisin' along. It also seemed rockier for longer that I thought it was. I lost time once I slowed it down after slipping twice. I managed to avoid dumping myself on my arse and considered myself lucky -- and warned.

I found myself at the first stream crossing on the way out at sunset. NOT the plan. I boogied across and made tracks on the long brown paths between. I was at the last crossing at the end of twilight. Just in time. There wasn't a spare moment to debate a different crossing, so I sucked it up and bounded across without incident. Ah...the home stretch....

Headlamp in place, I sang my way back down the nearly level surface to the trailhead. And composed a little ode to my Supernova headlamp along the way:

I am the center of my universe,
Both the sun and moon.
One flick of a tiny switch,
And it's a bright as noon.

Another click and it seems,
Stars and moonlight shine.
I'll navigate by own light,
And make it home just fine.

Mission accomplished!