Curious about Overboots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildbill

Reaction score
I'd like to expand my winter hiking range in the Whites, but I don't want to have to buy hard boots. Does anyone have any experience/comments/recomendations for using leather backpacking boots with overboots for winter accents? I do have strap-on crampons.

Last edited:
I don't see the value in overboots - I can't imagine any that would grip adequately. I go with insulated leather boots and gaiters, and use snowshoes or crampons as needed. I do keep the leather waterproofed and wear warm socks - sometimes in two layers. My footwear has never been the cause of any problems for me in the winter.

I assume it won't be too long before someone explains how well overboots have worked for them.

Last edited:
Overboots have a smooth sole which cannot be used without crampons or snowshoes. They are used only in situations where one cannot get adequate insulation in boots.

Supergaiters are much more practical for the NE. There are several threads with comments on supergaiters. (Search on "supergaiter" or "super gaiter".)

Ultimately, you may have to break down and get winter boots if you want to hike in winter in the NE safely.

Doug

I've been wearig my leather Bean Crestas with gaiters in the winter for years without issue. Strap crampons and snowshoes don't pose a problem. Combined with a proper sock/liner I've spent long periods below zero.

I do make sure I that treat the leather with relative frequency after a thorough clean and air dry.

Last edited:
I cannot believe how warm the Cresta's kept my feet this winter. I did wear liners/a heavy wool sock/ and on bitter cold days wore vapor barriers as well.
I did not climb in the Whites but I most certainly was out in bitter cold. I have Raynaud's so it was a big surprise.
I think investing in a good boot for winter is critical because the downside of not doing this could really cost you more that a few bucks.

I was looking at some OR Brooks Range overboots in a store the other day. DougPaul is right-only for use with crampons. The soles on those are completely smooth.

You may want to look at Neos overboots. I haven't tried them, but they get good reviews from members of other sites I belong to where the same question has been asked. You buy them big enough to wear with your boots on. They do have a treaded sole on them so they can be worn without crampons. They make two models with Stabilicers built into them.

www.overshoe.com

Last edited:
I go with insulated leather boots and gaiters, and use snowshoes or crampons as needed. I do keep the leather waterproofed and wear warm socks - sometimes in two layers. My footwear has never been the cause of any problems for me in the winter.

Ditto. With my Solomon insulated boots I've never had cold feet and can bareboot, use crampons, microspikes or snowshoes. And...they are extremely comfortable. :)