Northern Coastal Maine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dentonfabrics

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a couple of weeks to kill so I'm going to pack up the truck and head up to Maine for a few days, mostly in seach of bareboot hiking (ahhh, spring!). Does anyone know if there's any snowcover on coastal Maine from Bar Harbor to Calais? I've looked at a couple of snowcover maps but the info on them seems to be contradictory.

I've targeted Acadia and the Bold Coast for this adventure. Any other places that I should consider in that area?

bob

I'd expect snow comparable or more further up and we've got 18" in the yard on the coast in Freeport. You may want to pack some traction...

One of the best resources available...in more ways than one!
http://www.geddys.com/geddycams/harborcam/

Across the bay in Sullivan there's Donnell Pond PRL with some decent tho' short hikes with good views of MDI,Tunk Lake etc.Schoodic Mountain can be accessed from Rte 200 off Rte 1 about 10 miles east of Ellsworth.Rte 183 is a about 2 miles further and will get you in to Donnel Pond,Little Tunk and Black Mtn.Not sure about accessability this time of year.You can also follow 200 out to 182 and head east toward Cherryfield for some short but decent hikes with decent views along the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess that's why I got mixed messages from the snowcover maps - 18" in Freeport yet the Geddy-cam shows bare ground in Bar Harbor! Yikes!! Maybe I'll just spend the entire week in Geddy's. That could be fun...

Geddy's - what a great place!!

I was in Rockland, ME on Friday and there was still snow on the ground, not a lot.........maybe 8 inches or so, but it was there..........2 days of bright sunshine might have melted some!

I guess that's why I got mixed messages from the snowcover maps - 18" in Freeport yet the Geddy-cam shows bare ground in Bar Harbor! Yikes!! Maybe I'll just spend the entire week in Geddy's. That could be fun...

Remember there's a lot of places that don't get too much sun this time of year on MDI.We were up there 2 years ago in tshirts on top and postholing in very wet snow below treeline that was better than knee-deep in places.I would think the sames rules apply up in Cutler.

And if all else fails there's always Geddy's.

Ugh....thanks for the info guys, I think I'll make other plans. It doesn't sound like the snows are any better on the coast than they are in the Whites.

...of course you could do a true coastal hike (rock hopping along the water). It's likely the snow on the rocks is gone...

A really neat way to hike up in Acadia. :D

Just to follow up, I went to Acadia earlier this week. (I start a new job Monday and my time off for the rest of the year will be limited, so I've gotta get it "out of my system" while I can.)

Forget about biking. Almost all of the Loop Rd is still closed (until Apr 15) and inaccessible. The only part of the road that's open is the part by the ocean, north and south of Thunder Hole.

Forget about fishing or paddling. All of the lakes are still frozen over. (No surprise there.)

I was able to get in a couple of small hikes though. Hiked out to Great Head and Gorham Mountain. Both had patches of snow and ice but were very doable.

Geddy's had great conditions. No snow, good tempatures, ice only where you'd want it, and the hops, barley, and malt were all in full bloom.

bob