1 pole, 2 poles, or no poles

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steppinwolf

Reaction score
When I first started hiking, I was just a 1-poler or no-poler. For the last few years, whenever I use poles, it's always two at a time, especially after I injured my back around 4 years ago. After getting used to them, I also enjoy using them on the uphill parts and even on the level parts when it's uneven. Descending, they take so much pressure off those knees and that not-so-young spine of mine that I sometimes wonder what I'd do without my shock absorbing Lekis.

My wife, OTOH, refuses to use two poles and is only a 1-poler when she uses them. She just doesn't like using 2. On a recent hike, she mentioned her left knee was getting a little sore near the end of it, and I suggested she switch the pole from her right hand to her left so as to take some pressure off her left knee and it seemed to help. Me, I'm always gonna be a 2-poler, unless it's a short moderate hike where I wouldn't use any.

Would love to hear how you feel about poles and if you generally hike with 0, 1, or 2 poles.

When I started hiking about 10 years ago, I used one pole. Once I tried 2 poles, I would never hike without them. Up hills I use them to pull me up. Great for my upper body. My 61 year old knees thank me all the way down!

I always use two poles when hiking with a full pack. If I'm just on a dayhike, or am basecamping and doing day excursions up peaks then I usually opt for just one pole.

I use a Leki Wanderfreund, which is collapsible, has no shock absorber mechanism, and is configured more like a cane than a trekking pole. Easier on the wrist, and so I like it better than the single pole it replaced.

I also am cursed with one of those “bad” backs that seems susceptible to muscle spasms and, apparently, to spinal misalignment. I do worry about having “a back episode” while hiking. Fears were realized one day a few years ago. As we resumed our walk a friend insisted that I borrow and use one of her regular Lekis to make a pair (this was my pre-Wandefreund period). The two poles together did seem to make walking a touch more comfy in that circumstance.

But it is hard to teach an old (bull)dog new tricks.

G.

I went from hiking with no poles to always hiking with two. It's great for upper body and it takes some stress of the legs on those downhills. I also rely on them for balance, as I have a tendency to be a wee bit klutzy at times. :D

I don't know as I could hike without them now ~ they've just become an extension of myself at this point.

lilmountaingirl said:
I don't know as I could hike without them now ~ they've just become an extension of myself at this point.

I feel the same way. It's two poles on all hikes, from start to end. Climbing, descending, probing Adirondack mud pits, giving the upper body a full day workout. They do get a bit heavy on the end of marathon 12-15 hour hikes though.

Depends on the terrain. I don't use any if I'm bushwhacking, they get in the way. In the winter is most always 2.

For the longest time I hiked without poles. Ever since breaking my wrist on a simple part of an easy trail, I've always used two Leki poles, ascending and descending. They are sometimes a pain close to rocky summits, and when descending slabs I often just drop them down to the next "flight" as long as I'm sure they will be easily retrieved. They're great for crossing streams. On the other hand, my wife uses only one.

I used to use a five foot wooden staff with a cane tip at the end. I would look at the trekking poles, especially the price, and think that would be nice to have, but I can spend the money elsewhere. One day I was at EMS during a big sale, and saw some Trek SuperMakalus that were marked down, between the big sale and the markdown I got a really good price. I have used the trekking poles on day hikes and 11 day backpacking trips. If I lose or break one of my Trek poles, I will happily go to the nearest outdoor equipment store and buy new poles. When you figure out the cost per trip, or per mile hiked, the cost is small. I have problems with my left ankle, knee and hip from downhill skiing injuries over 30 years ago. I doubt I could hike if I did not use the trekking poles, both of them, every time.

Ever since I hurt my knee doing a traverse of the Bonds I have relied upon two poles. I was the first in our little hiking group to start using them and now all of the rest of the people that I hike with carry two poles on almost every hike. The exception that I make is short hikes that have a lot of rock faces. Welch-Dickey, Mt Major etc. On long hikes like the Presidentials I could not live without them.

I started with cross coutry poles a year and a half ago just to test the concept (do they really help?), and used those until I found some Leki Air 3's on sale for $50.00. I use them both on most trips, but do tie either one or both on the pack when there is a lot of scrambling. I did Wittenberg with Warren a few months back and tied 'em both up before we got half way up. Only used one coming down, and by the time I hit the parking lot, I needed both.
Doing Philmont next month and wouldn't dream of going without them. Besides, it's much tougher to set up your tarp with only one pole.
Happy Hiking,
Tom

I started by beginning every hike picking up a stick checking it out for dozen paces and discarding until I had one that felt right. If a bushwack or scramble meant the stick got in the way I'd discard it and then go through the selection process again.

After some years of this, I picked up a single pole that I can collapse and sling over my shoulder as conditions demand. Sometimes I use two poles when snowshoeing, but in general my rhythm suit one pole the best.

steppinwolf said:
On a recent hike, she mentioned her left knee was getting a little sore near the end of it, and I suggested she switch the pole from her right hand to her left so as to take some pressure off her left knee and it seemed to help.

Actually, it's best to use a single pole (or a cane) on the side opposite a bum leg because of the longer lever arm.

Last edited:
I used to hike with a wooden hiking staff but changed to a pair of collapsible poles. A couple of years ago I seemed to turn the corner on the knee pain thing and now only carry poles for emergencies and tricky stream crossings.

How can you eat, read a map, put on or take off clothes, drink or any one of the many other activities done WHILE walking if you're using two poles?

I use a hydration bladder and can easily drink from that while hiking with 2 poles. I can't think of many other activities that I have to do or want to do while walking. For those, I stop and take a break.

Occasionally, I will tuck my poles under one arm or let them dangle from the straps if I need my hands for something.

nos of poles

I use 2 & often comment on how did i ever hike w/o poles! they have saved my butt on numerous occassions, help climbing up & down steep sections, they help with balance while crossing streams or fallen trees etc. etc -- they have now become an extension of my own arms.
in regards to: "How can you eat, read a map, put on or take off clothes, drink or any one of the many other activities done WHILE walking if you're using two poles?"
i'm usually not in such a hurry that i can't stop to read a map, remove clothing etc. but i can drink water; out of a bottle, read a map & eat while hiking w/ my poles. they have straps & when necessary i just let them hang off my wrist for a moment while i chow on some food or take a drink of water etc.