Washington & Monroe via Ammo Tr, 03/15/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnL

Reaction score
Sunday, The Ides of March, 2009

Trails in fine shape, what little time I spent on them today. Conditions were either hard crust or broken crust with soft stuff underneath.

I wore MicroSpike STs to Washington's summit but feeling I dodged a bullet I donned crampons for the rest of the trip. Water ice on the crust was much thicker near the summit and gave me some tense moments.

An outstanding weather day. I only needed wind gear for short periods of time and really could have gotten away without wearing a jacket all day if I wanted to. I measured winds near Monroe's summit at 20mph and those were the strongest winds I felt all day. Lots of people out on this grand day.

Congratulations to Boyd who finished his NH48 by topping out on Washington today. Nice to meet you today. Congratulations also to the two guys who came up from DC to experience winter hiking in the Whites by climbing Mt Washington.

Great way to finish up my winter with Hale, Wildcats and Washington/Monroe on successive days.

JohnL
[email protected]