Cold Brook Pass to Iroquois

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adksteve

Reaction score
Has anyone out there climbed Marshall Mt. and then dropped down to Cold Brook Pass and then climbed Iroquois Peak? Looking for suggestions. Thanks

I just descended via this route (Iroquois to CBP) a couple of days ago. There is a bit of a path you can follow, but it won't be easy. Many cliffs to navigate, some could be dangerous. We emerged no more than fifty feet from the Marshall cairn. Going down however was not too bad, aside from the monster hail indenting our skulls. Gloves and goggles were helpful.

I've been down that way also. I found the trail easy to navigate but at time very difficult and narrow. The trail I followed came down just before the Marshall Cairn on the JBL side. Sounds like the same trail as Doc. A fun descent none the less.

From the pass up to Iroquois via Shepherd's Tooth really isn't that bad; I've done it a number of times. Basically, from the height of land in the pass, there's a distinct cliff band on the Iroquois side, but it's punctuated by several gullies. Pick the one that looks the most reasonable to you, and work your way up. Once above the cliff band, it's a steep, somewhat nasty bushwhack, but it's not that long, mercifully. You'll probably notice something of a path and funnel into it as you make your way up. It's really cool popping out on Shepherd's Tooth, just because it feels SO good to get out of the thick brush. Then it's back into it for a short bit to tree line on Iroquois and then you're home free.

Thanks for the input. I plan to hike Marshall with a friend who needs Iroquois to finish his 46 peaks. He has 3 or 4 left to do so we were considering that option. Thanks Again!

Am I right in saying there might be a small cairn marking the path now. I believe I saw something when I last came of Marshall.

Up to the Tooth

There is no cairn marking the herdpath to the Tooth, but when entering the woods a bit to the East of the Marshall Cairn, keep to the right and you will soon find a very distinct path that will steeply but not on rocks take you most of the way up above the cliffs, the path will end against a steep wall, climb to the left and keep going up and down for a few minutes hugging not too close the tall cliffs till you are in the brook, you will there notice to your left in the direction of Marshall Mt a small opening with a great view and an opportunity for skydiving to Cold Brook Pass. Go up slightly to the left of the flow of the brook and curved back into it once around and above the large boulder. The herdpath follows the brook 3/4 of the very steep ascent. Whenever the climbing is a bit steep and the rock very bare there is an easier route to the left the first two times and to the right the third time. It is not a difficult herdpath to follow down (the views are great all the way)but having been down twice this spring, I will likely take it down again soon with Alex but will certainly never make the ascent from the col to the Tooth and Iroquois. Alex climbed it last year and is not about to climb it again either (900' over less than half a mile) but descending is a lot of fun.

Christine