Break Out Those #2's!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fisher Cat

Reaction score
I just finished The Story of Mount Washington by F Allen Burt. A grandson of the family who ran the paper Among the Clouds. I thought it would be more about the paper itself but pleasantly found he included some neat details about the Presi's and some of the hiking firsts. So, here's 10 questions to test your knowledge. You may find some easy, hopefully, none are too outdated as the book was printed in 1960, and sold for a whoppin' $6.50. So, in keeping with the true nature of this category of the forums, which is after all, Q & A, here goes: (thanks to Steve Smith who located a copy of this for me!)

1. Two main faults exist N of the Presi Range. One just N of the Pliny Range, the other between the Crescent Range and the Presi's. What are the names?

2.The names of the Presi's & southern Presi's are well known. Seven were christened by Lancastrian's in 1820. Of the listed 11, which 4 were named after 1820: Madison,Adams,Jefferson,Clay,Washington,Monroe,Franklin,Pleasant,Webster,Jackson,Clinton.

3.We call them the Lakes of the Clouds. They've also been known as Washington's Punch Bowl. But, in 1820, Ethan Crawford called them Blue Pond. Why?

4. The Inn at Giant's Grave had a name. Was it: A-The Flint & Musket, B-Black Bear Tavern, C-Bull & Finch (had to put that in), or D- Old Moosehead Tavern.

5.On July 25th, 1933, Ms. Lillian Judd summited Mt W by this means. It is the last recorded instance.

6.We've heard of the Cow Pasture. In 1878 a visitor to the Tip Top House recorded his tea was fortified with this, also provided by what other animal that was kept at the summit?

7. Grant made it by train. So did Hayes, who was there 5 times, including hiking to the summit when he was 11. But did Pierce, NH's only President, ever make it to the summit?

8.After 1937 Carl Weiss was the first man to hike MT W via the Jewell Trail despite this handicap. He made the trip in 5 hrs., incl. stopping for lunch. What adversity did he conquer? Hint: He had a dog.

9.On Aug 6, 1932, RE Welch ascended MT W, also fighting his handicap, with the assistance, at times, of the Cog Railway, you might say it was there for him to lean on. What did he overcome, and how long do you think it took?

10.William Oakes, the famed botanist, visited the Whites in 1825&26, and every summer from 1843-48. He was compiling another guide for both tourists and students of botany called "The Book of the White Mtns". He never finished it due to his untimely death on July 31, 1848. What happened to him?

All in all, a pretty neat book. It adds some details to some of the earlier hiking tragedies, such as those in the early 1900's. He devotes a good amount also to the colonial exploration of the mtns. He kinda divides it into 3 sections. The Mountain as Enemy, as Competitor, and finally as Teacher. Sorry I have no prize to reward if you know them all, but you can receive braggin rights. Thanks for reading!

Yes, both of those are correct. Ms. Judd made the last known (at that time, I don't know if anyone has done it since 1960) ascent by horse, and Mr Weiss was blind, it was the first recorded ascent with the asistance of a seeing eye dog. I thought his time of 5 hours was pretty remarkable considering the circumstances.

Nope, not honey. I imagine for the cows they had to bring up a measure of their food. But for these animals in #6 they were allowed to eat as they please. And they have a reputation for eatin' just about anything.

Being obsessed with Oakes Gulf, I'll take a stab at #10. I think he had some sort of boating mishap and drowned?

Great use of the #2s Fisher Cat!

Being obsessed with Oakes Gulf, I'll take a stab at #10. I think he had some sort of boating mishap and drowned?

Great use of the #2s Fisher Cat!

You are correct wardsgirl! While on a ferry ride from Boston to East Boston he fell overboard. It is not known whether he fainted for whatever reason but he had in the past suffered from vertigo, but whatever it was he went over and drowned. What a way to go.
Awesome job!

ahhh...goats milk?

Exactly! Goats! Its a shame to think they had such a free roam and ate whatever they pleased, who knows what species they devoured, but a herd of goats was kept up there for some period of time.

I've got a guess for #2....and then I'll shut up and give someone else a chance.:eek:

Is it , Clay,Franklin, Jackson, and Webster?

This is fun!

3 out of 4, the ones you got right are Clay, Webster, and Jackson. Only 1 left.

Ok, I'll try one again. Question #4. I'm going to guess B- Black Bear Tavern. I'm thinking it fits more than the other names, because isn't Giant's Grave the burial place of Ethan Crawford?

Ok, I'll try one again. Question #4. I'm going to guess B- Black Bear Tavern. I'm thinking it fits more than the other names, because isn't Giant's Grave the burial place of Ethan Crawford?

Its not Black Bear, and since its not Bull & Finch either, it gets a bit easier!

I believe (its been awhile since I've seen the site) its about a half mile from Fabyans where he and Lucy are buried. The spot is closer to the Base Road.

This brings to rise another question. I found this reference on P 25 and wonder if anyone has stumbled upon it. In describing what was the Fabyan Path (now the route of the Cog) it says:
"It is evident that Ethan had used this route before, and that he was familiar with the steep and difficult crag overhanging the Ammonoosuc Ravine that was called "Jacob's Ladder", from which the highest trestle of the Cog received its name. A huge boulder on the "Ladder" was given the name "Ethan Allen's rock" by one of the guests, who found it a convenient resting place. And, in 1878, there was discovered, chisled into its side, the inscription: "E.A.C. 1820."

1820 would have been the year he took the group of Lancastrians for the naming expedition. Is this a legitimate inscription I would wonder, and if so, has anyone in modern times seen it? Would be neat to know!

Wow! That would be cool to find that rock! (BTW, my son is named Ethan, for Ethan Crawford, but his initials are E.M.S.!)

I'll let someone else guess the Tavern name. But I'll try a yes or no question.

# 7. My guess is no.
Reason- if he was a hiker, he would not be so unpopular:D

# 7. My guess is no.
Reason- if he was a hiker, he would not be so unpopular:D

Unfortunately Pierce has plenty of other reasons to be unpopular, but he did in fact go to the summit of Mt Washington, doing so in the summer of 1862.

Ok gonna go out on a limb and say that #9 was he had one leg. Probably took twice as long? :rolleyes:

michael you are correct! Mr Welch had but one leg. Though he had the use of a crutch he found the railway indispensable when he needed something solid to pull himself up. The most remarkable aspect (I think)of his hike is that it took him only 3 hours and 11 minutes to reach the summit. That borders on amazing given the circumstances. What a feat!