Strictly Adirondack but.....

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ADAM12

Reaction score
I would love to climb in NH and I have no clue where to start. I am a very expierenced backpacker so difficulty is no problem. What would be a great peak or range to begin with? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and where may I obtain a trail map or guide book. Does NH offer any trail books like they do for specific regions in the Dacks? Let me also add that you can offer day hikes or backpacking tips. I would love to hike somewhere and camp then hike from basecamp.

Thanks all,
ADAM

usually EMS stores have the white mountain guide - if not try www.outdoors.org they sell the white mountain guide and it comes with maps - franconia notch is a nice place to start out from since it is owned by the state and doesn't reqire the u.s. forest service parking permit - also the AMC in pinkham notch and AMC in crawford notch do not require the parking permit - - if you want to hike where a parking permit is required, the best place to get the permit is in lincoln at the irving gas station since it is open 24 hours - a yearly permit costs $20 for 1 car or $25 for 2 cars (there are also weekly & daily permits too)

Last edited:
Welcome to the Whites. I still use the AMC White Mountain Guide which covers the area pretty well and includes several maps as well. Several VFTT members also have very good websites which I find helpful.

My Recommended Dayhikes:

Franconia Loop over Lincoln and Lafayette (best done on a weekday or in winter.) Rt 93 Franconia

Whiteface and Passaconaway. Ferncroft to Blueberry ledge to Rollins to Dicey Mill trails. Rt-113A Wonalancet

Wildcat Range. Lost Pond to Wildcat ridge trail down ski slopes
Pinkham notch Rt-16 near visitor center.

Great overnight area is the Bonds, leave from Wilderness trail on Kancamangus and traverse to Bondcliff, Bond and West Bond. Overnight near Mt Guyot then hike to the Twins, Zealand.