Mud Season...er...Sprint hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikes-with-him

Reaction score
Hi all...

Seems like the winter hiking season is pretty much behind us...and it's time to look forward.

I realize that asking where can we hike where there won't be mud...is like asking where can we hike in the winter (in Maine and NH) where there won't be snow!

But...where, in ME and NH are the less muddy places to hike? We are looking for day hikes and are thinking: Saddleback, Old Speck, Carter/Mt. Hight, Tumbledown, baldpate...

What do you all think?

I think you'd better head further south! Keep in mind too, that while hiking during mud season is not prohibited on trails in the Whites, it supposedly contributes greatly to erosion of the treadway.

I tend to agree with Wardsgirl. There will be mud. That being said, below are four western ME trails which I would avoid in the mud season:

- Baldpate - the Frye Brook Trail is wicked muddy.

- Goose Eye - the Wright Trail is outstanding, but the lower part and the North Fork can be quite muddy until things dry out. The stream crossings could also be treacherous until the snow is melted.

- West Kennebago - the Fire Warden Trail is wicked muddy and has slippery, wet rocks.

- Azischos Mt. - both the Firewarden and Aziscohos Mt. Trail will be wicked muddy down low.

Have a great mud season :)

Marty

In mud season I head south to the Ossipees. Lots of good hikes there and the mud season ends sooner than up here in the northern Whites.

It's also an ideal time to work on the LNT travel on durable surfaces item. If you run out of them it might be a good idea to try another day...

It depends on the weather.

Well winter ain't over in the north, by a longshot. Even if the calendar says April, there will still likely be snow on the trails for quite some time.

I hiked part of the AT last April, (from 4/15 to 4/28) down in the Hanover NH, Norwich VT area, and there was no mud. We lost most of our snow by early April, and things dried out pretty quickly, especially since it was dry and 70-80 degrees for several days during the middle of the month.

If we get rain in late March or April, then everyone will be a mud pit. But I'd say your best bet is hikes below 2500 feet, south of the whites. Come to think, Monadnock will prob be good by later April too....

Hope that helps.

grouseking

Acadia...interesting. That's not that far from us...about 2 hrs (which is a hop, skip, and a jump to our usual 3 - 3 1/2 hrs drive to the Whites)...

Hmmmm...been wanting to do Cadallic

The Green Mountain Club has some Mud Season Guidelines which include hiking tips as well as alternative places to go.

Note that
The State of Vermont closes all trails on state land including those on Camel's Hump and Mount Mansfield from mid-April until Memorial Day weekend. Please do not hike in these fragile areas.
Also avoid: Straton Mountain, Killington Peak, Lincoln Ridge (Mount Ellen to Appalachian Gap), Jay Peak.

I imagine we'll see the 'no-snow' thread start in another week or two if we continue to avoid snowstorms. One of the first peaks in the Lakes Region to melt and dry out is Red Hill - and by the looks of Eagle Cliff the other day, it may not be too far away.

I imagine we'll see the 'no-snow' thread start in another week or two if we continue to avoid snowstorms. One of the first peaks in the Lakes Region to melt and dry out is Red Hill - and by the looks of Eagle Cliff the other day, it may not be too far away.

:D :D :D

I've enjoyed winter hiking and all -- but I am REALLY looking forward to the return of dirt and mud. I love the feel of rocks, dirt, and trees.

I know it'll be another 6(ish) weeks before we're snow-free (or close enough) in the Whites. But still...looking forward to it!!! :D :D :D

I know it'll be another 6(ish) weeks before we're snow-free (or close enough) in the Whites.

That's wishful thinking :) When I did Tom-Field-Willey last May 30th, there was still a measurable amount of snow along the Willey Range Trail. The year before that, there were still patches of snow along the summit ridge of Tecumseh on the 25th of May. Of course, if this snow-free streak continues, it could be a whole different story, but I'm not holding my breath :)

That's wishful thinking :) When I did Tom-Field-Willey last May 30th, there was still a measurable amount of snow along the Willey Range Trail. The year before that, there were still patches of snow along the summit ridge of Tecumseh on the 25th of May. Of course, if this snow-free streak continues, it could be a whole different story, but I'm not holding my breath :)

The key phrase is -- "close enough." I know it won't all be gone, but enough of it will be to make me happy.

Are you sure it's YOU that likes all the dirt and mud...or is it that little sweety you hike with
;)

LOL, it's me wanting the snow to melt. Alex says she now much prefers winter hiking to 3 season hiking -- I think she'd be happy if winter lasted much longer.