Isolation on July 31

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poison ivy

Reaction score
Anyone interested in hiking Isolation on July 31? (I know, I'm posting early but I'll be out of town next week...) Right now, I'm thinking of heading up Glen Boulder and down Rocky Branch, but I could be easily convinced to try a different route.

Pace-wise, I tend to be a book time (or slower) hiker, so that would mean an early start. (I don't mind being the caboose if a faster hiker still needs this peak.)

PM me or post here if you're interested and we can work out details. :)

-- Ivy

I might be able to do that date and haven't done Isolation yet. What time do you plan on starting?

We're planning to meet up at the Rocky Branch trailhead at 7 a.m., and then drive over to the Glen Boulder trailhead to start the hike. (Though I believe one of us will be starting out a little earlier.)

If you're interested, send me a pm with your e-mail. I'm going to e-mail everyone who said they were interested early next week so we can get everything organized.

:)
- Ivy

I've been watching the weather reports - the word 'damp' springs to mind.

Anybody in the area have a first hand take on what is likely for Saturday?

Thanks

Bob

Weather report

From the MWO for the valley:
TOMORROW: Partly cloudy and breezy with a 30% chance of showers and thunderstorms.
Highs: Around 80 °F
Lows: Upper 60s °F

Conditions have improved from yesterday's forecast. Predicted T-storms bother me a little as I'll be above treeline tomorrow for awhile.

Radar shows you folks dry, but a nasty storm line coming across western NY. I hope your trip is going well & that you beat the storms. I can't wait to read the reports!!!
:)

We couldn't have asked for much better weather... though it was a little bit on the muggy side. The clouds parted while we were at Glen Boulder and we had pretty fantastic views for most of the day. A thunderstorm moved in in the evening as we finished up the hike, but we were far from the ridge and the summit at that point and it was kind of nice to cool off that way. It was a great day and thanks to HikerBob, Karen, Geneva, Sheryl and Mark for making this trip so much fun.

I'm sure HikerBob will put up one of his excellent trip reports when he gets a chance. My pictures are already up at webshots

-- Ivy

What a great day! Many thanks to Ivy, Geneva, Sheryl and Mark for waiting for the slow team (Ivy has had her membership revoked ;) ) on many occasions. Particular thanks to all of them for waiting for us to appear from the dark, wet woods at 9pm!

Karen's knee went out not long after starting down the Rocky Branch trail so we asked Ivy to catch the others up to give them our car keys so they wouldn't have to wait at the trailhead.

Karen's knee was giving her a lot of pain but she found it lessened if she kept her leg straight. She managed to finish the last two miles in this manner with no complaint beyond an occasional whimper. She deserves a medal.

The thunder started, the rain came and the light faded. The final stages of the Rocky Branch trail are well worn but under headlights a few blazes wouldn't have gone amiss. I don't recall seeing a single one.

In short, we had a real break with the weather, got to hike with some great people (albeit mostly at a distance) and knocked off one of the more remote 4k's in a day. Despite the pain Karen too says it was a great day.

So thank you, thank you, thank you guys for waiting around for us. We maybe slow, but not usually *that* slow.

I'll post a fuller trip report later and should have some pics up tomorrow sometime. Today was an R&R day.

Bob