adk backcountry shelters and campsites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Reaction score
i'm planning some backpacking trips in the high peaks area for this summer and i have what may seem like a silly question regarding ethics/courtesy at backcountry sites. i know in the white mountains it's standard practice to share shelters, designated tent sites/platforms, etc. is this the same in the adironadacks? for example, if i was to show up at a camping area and all designated spots had tents in them already, but extra space, would i be considered rude to set up in the same area? how about the same sort of situation with regards to shelters already inhabited?
thanks.

bryan

Hi Bryan! The ADK is pretty much the same courtesy as the Whites. Most Lean-to's (shelters) have an 8 person occupancy rule. If you are the only one in the shelter you should move over and let others join you and vice versa if there are 5 people there when you arrive they should move over for you as well.

The ADK in the back country does not have tent platforms set up. Standard rule is pitch a tent 150 feet from water and trails unless in a designated area. Hope this helps.

So where are you planning on going exactly?

Adam

thanks for the response. i figured the same sort of etiquette would apply. not totally sure where i'll be going yet. figure maybe setting up camp in places like lake colden, feldspar, ward brook, etc. and climbing some of the high peaks. nothing too solid at this point.
thanks again.

bryan

Flowed Lands is one of my favorite places to stay. Hike in from Upper Works. There are 3 lean-to's and my favorite one is the one towards the outlet of Flowed Lands. Also there is a fresh water spring nearby so you dont have to drink that swamp water :D

From Flowed Lands you can easily get to Mount Marshall, Cliff, Redfield, Colden, Skylight and Gray. It is a nice base camp :)

Don't forget the bear canister rule and no campfire rule in most places in the high peaks.. Topic has been on here for a bit, do a search..

Jay

To add to Bryan's question: What about stealth-like random-type camping? For example, in the Whites, I can 'whack into the woods for 1/4 mile and set up camp unseen by hikers on the trail. Is that allowed in the Dacks?

Sure that's allowed in the Dacks. On State Land, in general, you can camp anywhere that is more than 150' from a road, trail, or body of water, not above 4000', and not designated "No Camping."

I say "in general" because there are a few areas with "special rules." In the Marcy Dam / Lake Colden corridor, I think you are only allowed to camp at "designated campsites," for example. There are also special use area like Whiteface Ski Area, that are State Land but have special rules.

But, by and large, if you can park your car safely off the road, you can walk into the woods and camp on State Land in the Dacks.

designated tenting areas

The backcountry designated tenting areas generally have a limit of three tents, which the rangers do enforce. Marcy Dam and Lake Colden have multiple sites. For non-winter camping, you might consider a hammock. It opens up a lot more possibilities camping at large, i.e. 150 feet or more from road, trail or body of water.

Lots of good, informed answers coming here. I'll point out that the NYSDEC has an extremely extensive web site with plenty of easy to read pages with answers to questions you might not even know to ask.