Advice Sought: Go-Lite Trek Pack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The idea of saving 3+lbs by switching to this pack appeals to me for obvious reasons, but a little research shows that the go-lite lacks metal stays to provide back support. So I would be saving 3 lbs but perhaps risking back problems if I get it.

Anyone out there switch between a go-lite trek and a similar volume pack with aluminum stays or vice-versa? What was your experience?

Thanks.

I have a Golite trek and it feels fine for me as long as I keep the load under 30lb (under 25 is even better). I also roll a ridge rest sleeping pad inside the pack so all my gear fits inside the sleeping pad. This adds a little more support to the pack.

I went through the same purchasing decision recently and decided to go with the Granite Gear Ozone Nimbus (3lbs 3800cu/in) instead of the Go-lite. I've been meaning to write up a quick review about this for everyone as a follow up to a thread I started but I have been slacking.

After trying on both at a store in Boston, it was an easy decision for me. The Go-lite was a pound lighter and had a top compartment but the Ozone Nimbus just fit me better. It felt like a sturdier, more substantial carrying system... more along the lines of what I was used to in regular internal packs... but amazingly light. It has a very light, but sturdy, frame made from a composite called Tepex and the waist belt is actually a belt - not just a strap. The fact that it has a frame and a beefier belt is a main reason why it is a pound more, but in my opinion it makes up for this in the way it comfortablly carries the load.

I've gone on 3 hikes with it now (2 over nighters - 1 day hike) and even 1 rock climb up Cathedral Ledge in NH ..... I couldn't be happier. I espcially like the way it straps down to almost nothing... good for day hikes and the occasional climb.

I love go-lite's gear and have not heard of back problems or of people who are dissapointed with the packs (just the opposite actually, as long as the load is kept light) - but if you are willing to trade an extra pound for more comfort and stability... like I was... you should definitely check these out. They are apparently all the rage with Thru-hikers right now.

Granite Gear's ultralight line

Last edited:
ultra lite pack

i tried the golite race and speed packs. altho i liked them, i did not feel they had enough support. earlier this yr i purchased the gregory advent pro (2.9#) and absolutley love it! it's not a huge pack tho, only about 2200 cu. i know that golite was coming out with some new packs this yr, better support too. i'd check their website and then search the web for pricing.
let me reiterate: i LOVE the gregory for a day pack and depending on your overnight accomodations, possibly overnight. i haven't used any of my other packs since getting this one.

I purchased the Golite Trek this past fall after deciding that I wanted to take a serious shot at lightening my load.

I also had concerns about lack of support. I ended up packiing about 35 pounds for a week trip into the Whites. I must say that I was pleasently surprised with how comfortable the pack was. Granted that may be because I was used to carrying 45lbs +.

I used my sleeping pad as support for the back and it worked quite well. The pack is also so light that it worked great as a day pack during the week also.

One thing to watch out for is the mesh pockets on the side. If the pack is fullly loaded it is very hard to get much into them.

All in all I have been very happy with it. It's amazing how much better you feel when you take off the pounds in the pack.

Glenn

Remix, I thought I would amplify the comments provided by Holdstrong. I have a Granite Gear pack with a composite frame. Must say, it is AWESOME! Very comfortable, light enough, and great back support. In fact, once adjusted, all of the weight rides very nicely on your hips where the weight belongs. I do not experience a bit of back or shoulder pain carrying a 30+ lb load. You can micro-engineer the loss of another pound but my calculation says that 1 lb in 30 lbs is only 3%.

Thanks for everyone's input! I'm gonna wait until I can try one out instead of parting with the cash and being disapointed.

I have had back problems in the past, but never with hiking! Thus I have become somewhat emotionally attached to the feeling of a rigid support hugging my back.

Gregory lite?

I saw an ad. somewhere for a light-weight Gregory pack. Does anyone know anything about this?

gregory

the gregory advent pro is one of their ultra lites. this holds maybe 2200 cu but i have this one and it's awesome. they may make some other lines. the new one is $160 i got mine for $80 (last yrs - but i think it's 99.99% the same) and i think i got it at altrec or rei - one of those. take a look at it and if you like it, do a search and see if you can grab one on sale. much better than the golites as far as support and it has tons of great features, plenty of pockets and a small separate compartment on the bottom (like a mini sleeping bag compartment) i love it. oh and it has 2 inside sleeves for water bladders. if you want something larger go to gregory's site and see what else they have: www.gregorypacks.com