Sugarloaf and Spaulding - 7/4

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Metsky

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
After the previous days hike up Old Speck, it was time to work on my NE 4000'ers list. We planned an ambitious day, dropping a car at the Firewarden's trailhead for Abraham, driving to Sugarloaf and hiking up the ski trails than along the ridge. This would get me 3 of my remaining 5 peaks.

Alas, it wasn't quite going to happen. It took a bit longer than planned to find the trailhead to drop the car and finally starting hiking up the Tote Road at Sugarloaf around 11:00. It was hot and we were moving slowly. Before we reached the top we'd started working on alternative plans.

Pat and Audrey, having done all these peaks many times, were content to take a leisurely trip down while Brenda and I headed over to Spaulding and back. I wanted to knock off Spaulding so my final peak could be Abraham without having to backtrack over Spaulding.

We left Sugarloaf (#63) around 2:00 and made it to Spaulding (#64) by 3:30. It's a lovely ridgewalk, I definately do want to get back someday and backpack from Saddleback to the Crockers. We spent 15 minutes on Spaulding before turning around and heading back. By now I had a blister on one heel that was bothering me, plus my tendonitus in my knee was begining to bother me. Going to Abraham would have been sub-optimal.

We made it back in 1:30, just like the trip out, then started down the ski slopes, which is much easier than going up them. As it turns out, Audrey and Pat hung out on the porch of Bullwinkles and reached the bottom just minutes before us. We had a fine dinner and headed back to pick up my car. On the way in we spotted a deer in the road, then a moose, not 30 feet from a big "No Hunting" sign. Guess they can read. Just before arriving at the cottage we encountered a bull moose in the road, very oblivious to the cars and unconcerned about us driving past him.

Gotta plan my final two dayhikes up there, the Crockers and Abraham. Anyone wanna carry some champagne?

Photos

-dave-

Well dang, it looks like I just missed meeting the famed New England crew. I did the South Horn of Bigelow on 7/5. This part of Maine has long been one of my favorite spots in the Northeast. Sounds like you had a great trip ... I know the weather was perfect for hiking on the Fourth. Congrats as you near the completion of the New England 4Ks.

Getting Close!

Dave,

Nice work...you're getting close!

I'll be glad to carry for you on the last one, just let me know when.

Hey, consider Doing Abe from Barsum side. If you can use Seeker's Subaru you can drive to within 45 min of the summit!

While you are in the neighborhood, check out Middle Abe. A very nice summit as well with a straightforward bushwhack to the top.

See you soon,

cb

And I can attest that LittleBear is indeed a fine Champagne Sherpa :) Hope you don't request a keg for your 100th!

Count me in. Just name the date (can't do 7/15-25). I can also think of a good jump off spot ;)

BTW, Firewarden's to Abe is a nice route. Lot's of above treeline hiking for a relatively low summit. Great one for #67!

Well, my summer is quickly filling up, but I'll join you Dave if I happen to be free the weekend that you pick to finish. Nice weekend, thanks for the reports and the photos.

hey dave,

let me know when you plan to be up this way and i'll try to join you. abraham is my favorite peak to hike.
i live about 20 minutes from the firewardens trailhead for abraham and about 25 minutes from the AT for the crockers.

go

The more of you who offer, the lighter my pack gets! :D

I'm looking for an all day hike Sat. 7/25. After that back to Fla. But I dunno if ya would/should trust me to carry yer bottle, my PRE-hike hydration habits aren't always so good....

Just think! If you'd applied some of your 11,264 Moosilauke climbs to those Maine hills, you could have retired years ago!

bigmoose said:
Just think! If you'd applied some of your 11,264 Moosilauke climbs to those Maine hills, you could have retired years ago!
Ah, but then I wouldn't have climbed Moosilauke all those 11,264 times. :D

Dave,

I think my husband and I passed you that day on the stretch of trail between Sugarloaf and Spaulding. We were in the midst of a section hike on the AT from Grafton Notch to Monson. I was wondering what kind of day trip you were doing, i.e. where your enter and exit points were. Now I know. That was a beautiful day for hiking. We thoroughly enjoyed our time in Maine. What a gorgeous place!

Julie White

Did one of you (I think your husband) have an AT patch on the left side of his pack? I remember a couple going north who looked like they were in for a longer backpack, and the AT patch caught my eye.

Nice meeting you, if only for a fleeting moment.

-dave-

Yes, that was us. We met some other folks out peakbagging earlier in the day. They had done Abraham and were heading towards Poplar Ridge lean-to and the next day the Saddlebacks (which were amazing).

Julie

We may need to open a bar on top of Abraham to pour all the Champagne since my wife and I plan on finishing our NE 67 there around mid-August. We have 3 left, Saddleback, Horn, and Abraham.

Hopefully the weather will be good. We spend 5 days at Baxter at the beginning of the month and it rained 4 out of those 5 days. Our trip up North Brother featured a trail that was flowing faster than a river and puddles the size of ponds. An earlier trip this Summer up Sugarloaf and Spaulding also featured some downpours followed by a steady drizzle, fog and refreshingly cold breezes.