missing man on long trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know the Long Trail's geography that well. Was he hiking in the Bennington Triangle area were a number of hikers have disappeared in the past? Or was he in another part of the state?

I hope he's okay.

It has been on the news locally around the Albany area. Sounds like it was the Route 9 AT trailhead east of Bennington ... for Glastenbury Mountain.

Hope he's OK. Not much in terms of details seem to have been released other than who it is and the general area where he may have been hiking.

Not much traffic on that trail this time of year apparently.

I'm not sure there's a whole lot of traffic on that section of the Long Trail any time of the year, compared to a lot of other sections of the Long Trail. Glastenbury Mtn and the Lookout Tower is 10 miles up the trail from the Trailhead. Not a whole lot interesting in between except for a couple of limited viewpoints and a 20 mile round trip will discourage a lot of people.

Anyway, my condolences go out to the family.

Not much traffic on that trail this time of year apparently.

That's probably true. Also, Melville Nauheim shelter is also just far enough off the trail that day hikers or backpackers could easily pass on with no idea of what was happening there. In addition, its about 1 1/2 miles from Rt. 9 so not a natural place to take a break for many - even if its 100 yards or so from the trail. I didn't stop in either of the times I walked that stretch of the LT.

Anyone heard the cause of death yet?

Last edited: